This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

One of society’s most current trends is the increasing presence of health-conscious consumers and popularity of organically produced food, and Texas A&M hasn’t failed to hop on the bandwagon. In fact, they may have been one of the first beginning six years ago.

“Back in 2009, students wanted to promote sustainable agriculture and grow their own food. They started gardening on some land on West Campus and the Howdy Farm was born!” quotes Claire Adikson, the PR representative for Howdy Farm.

Howdy Farm is an on-campus gardening site where members of the Sustainable Agriculture Student Association grow fresh, organic fruits and vegetables to sell to local residents and students! They provide a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and herbs including items like kale, broccoli, carrots, cilantro, melons, pomegranates, and zucchini. Produce devoid of chemical fertilizers and pesticides that generally sell for lower prices than your local grocery store, and are just a short bus ride away from class? Hmmm…. eating your way to a summer bod never sounded easier.

So when can you buy? Located behind the Horticulture Forest Sciences Building in West Campus, the farm is directly open to the public from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm on Thursdays. If you can’t make it during those times, they also sell at the Brazos Valley Farmer’s Market from 8:00 am to Noon on Saturdays.

In addition to stocking our refrigerators with parent-approved groceries, their goals include serving as “an educational model for sustainable agricultural practices. We want to teach the community about the produce we grow and how they can grow it themselves.”

So how can you get involved? By participating in a volunteer program or internship! No agricultural experience required. Volunteering allows you to participate in a wide range of activities such as planting, harvesting, contributing to their online blog, and so much more! Getting involved is also a super fun way to gain class credit. Interns choose from a wide variety of projects to focus on for an entire semester including things such as herbal tea production, seed saving, fruit production, or Zen gardens all while receiving credit through HORT 484. Plus, it’s open to all majors!

Everyone involved absolutely loves it; there’s “never a dull moment,” states Claire. “Our amazing farm manager, Corey, and officers of [SASA] help direct volunteers in the projects of the day. Work done at the farm includes: planting seeds, weeding beds, harvesting produce, painting and decorating, working in the greenhouse, listening to music, joking around, sharing recipes, and enjoying each others’ company and the beautiful weather.”

All just another reason why we’re the greatest school in the nation!

Visit tamuhowdyfarm.weebly.com & show some love