This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

If you’ve been on Tik Tok these past few months, I’m sure you’re up to date on the latest trends. Well, as someone who loves fitness, I absolutely had to take on this new treadmill trend: 12-3-30! This new cardio workout was created by YouTuber and influencer Lauren Giraldo. I took on the challenge and tried this workout for 30 days to see what the hype is about! 

12-3-30 is a cardio workout that includes walking on a treadmill at 12 incline at 3 speed for 30 minutes. This was the magical secret Lauren Giraldo spilled in her YouTube video about how she lost 30 lbs. Ever since she spoke about this workout, people around Tik Tok and YouTube took on the challenge to try it. Now, I know what you’re thinking…This sounds easy, how hard can it be walking on a treadmill?

Well, 12-3-30 is known to burn as many calories as you can in a short amount of time. The science behind this is essentially performing a 30 minute HIIT workout. Performing a high intensity cardio workout helps increase the heart rate to 70% of its maximum heart rate. Meaning, you have reached your fat burning heart rate stage which will allows you to continue burning calories at rest.

So, let’s get down to it: I started 12-3-30 on March 15th. My starting weight was 175, and my workout split looked a little like this:

Monday: 12-3-30, Back and Biceps

Tuesday: 12-3-30, Glutes and Quads

Wednesday: 12-3-30, Triceps and Shoulders

Thursday: 12-3-30, Glutes and Hammies

Friday: 12-3-30, Abs and Chest

Saturday: 12-3-30, Full body 

Sunday: rest

Man, I wll tell you the first week is ROUGH. My first week of trying the workout was getting accumulated to the intensity and quick burn you feel in the first 5 minutes. My face got so red, and I was sweating in places I didn’t know I could sweat in. Now there are two breaking points each time I did this workout. The 9 minute mark, where you just got loosened up and you’re feeling the great burn in your calves. Then after a few songs go by, you check the time and it’s the 18 minute mark. This is where the stir craziness kicks in because you’re a little over halfway done. I know I’ve made it to the home stretch; my head is throbbing, my legs are on fire, and my air pods are soaked in sweat! But once that 30 minute mark hits, WOW, not only do you feel tired but like an absolute bad*ss!

Throughout my month, some things I’ve noticed was an increase in endurance. You don’t need to hold onto the treadmill handles as long anymore. My clothes started feeling a little bit looser and my bloat was completely gone. But the most important transformation was my mental health. I gained so much clarity by releasing all my emotions, thoughts, and stresses out in the sweat. I’ve let go of built up anger that weight lifting sometimes can’t do. Also, I felt such a boost in confidence when you sweat out all the toxins in your body. I noticed I woke up with more energy and in a much better mood. I felt way more at peace with my days, especially as someone that struggles with anxiety. 

On April 15th, I called it a month and gathered my results. My ending weight was 164. How crazy was it to lose a total of 11 lbs! I overall felt so much better about myself. I think this is my favorite form of cardio as I get to dedicate 30 minutes to me. I get to completely shut off the world and focus on positive affirmations, plan out my day, or get in touch with my inner thoughts. Lauren Giraldo really did something by sharing with us how 12-3-30 changed her. Because I know it, didn’t just change my body, but mindset too!