This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With summer quickly approaching, it’s important to build your closet sooner than later; especially one that can withstand the Texas heat. Although a neutral closet is essential, vibrant colors typically dominate from May to August. These staple pieces can set the tone for the season. With shows like Daisy Jones and the Six re-popularizing the revival of 1970s fashion, what better way to enter summer than in a crochet outfit?

Bikini tops, boleros, and beanies; if you can think of it, you can crochet it. What started as your grandma’s favorite hobby soon blew up on TikTok during the early days of the pandemic and has been on a steady rise since. Crochet products were typically offered on Etsy, created, and sold by the artist themselves before becoming an internet sensation; but, like with anything that becomes fashionable, a cheap unethical dupe will follow. In recent years, fast fashion sites and large retailers have capitalized on this trend, raising concerns about their ethical and environmentally friendly procedures. Since machines are unable to reproduce the intricate stitch pattern, all sewing must be done by hand. Unfortunately, the cost of labor is extremely low for many main retailers and workers rarely earn fair compensation. Though the crochet top on Shein may be the cheapest option, it is essential to understand the broader impact of your purchase. 

Luckily, the most ethical way to participate in this trend is to make it yourself! Tutorials for anything from tops to water bottle holders can be found on Youtube and crochet tools are relatively inexpensive. Though your final product might not look perfect at first, everybody starts somewhere. Starting with beginner projects like simple stitches and little squares is a great way to learn without getting overwhelmed. Thankfully, even if you feel lazy, these items are also widely available on Etsy, Depop, and through other small artists. Supporting local and online businesses is a good sustainable choice. College Station has many flea and vintage markets throughout the semester that offer crochet items like City Treasure Market and Ninth Market. 

A crochet skirt is an ideal way to channel 1970s style while still offering a trendy top for the Texas heat. When picking your next crochet item, look for the most ethical options, even if they are not the cheapest. Crocheting for sustainability is simple, but practice makes perfect!

Catherine White is a writer at the HerCampus Texas A&M chapter. She writes about relationships, fashion, and lifestyle. She is on the Public Relations committee for her chapter where she organizes brand events and delegates merchandise. Beyond HerCampus, she writes for A-Line Magazine at TAMU where she covers topics ranging from fashion, lifestyle, commentary, and entertainment. Catherine is currently a junior at Texas A&M University, majoring in English with a minor in Technical Writing In her free time, she likes to read, hang out with friends, make collages, and write.