This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As a college student, I often find myself in a constant state of anxiety. This anxiety is so debilitating that I can even conjure up a stress response without having a particular stimulus present or, as my momma would say, I “stress for nothing.” Being that this has been the case for years now, I’ve had to find effective ways to let go of some of that tension and become more productive for longer. From personal care days to effective sleep, here are 5 ways I alleviate the stress:

1. Evaluating Priorities

When the feeling of being overwhelmed stems from an influx of work, I find it useful to prioritize each task. I do this based on any factor that is to my liking – form due dates to level of difficulty – as long as I will be able to follow through on this order. By effectively arranging what needs to be done and in what sequence, I allow yourself to regain some sense of control and become a more productive individual.

2. Eliminating stressorS

I find the most effective (and obvious) way to let go of anxiety is to go straight for the jugular, so to speak, and eliminate the root of the issue. Learning to severe yourself from an unhealthy stressor may, for some people, be the only effective means to receive much needed reprieve. To do so, I found that setting boundaries concerning what I will and will not allow myself to be subjected to, whether from a person or a “thing,” helps clear my head and allows me to focus on what really matters.

3. EXcersicing Creativity

When mentally overloaded, I find that taking on fun projects like painting, crafting, baking, and any other activities that allow for creative juices to flow can serve as a temporary distraction from the stress. At least until I’m ready to confront it once more. If creating isn’t much of your thing, worry not, as you can use listening to calming music, go on a run, or even play board games!

4. RESTINg

Now onto my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE activity…. sleeping!! (besides eating, of course *insert sarcastic eye roll emoji*). In terms of stress, sleeping helps recharge the brain. Think of it as a reset button, to improve your concentration and overall mood. So when you feel the inclination to go full on panic mood, stop… and get in bed for a much needed nap. If you’re like me and tend to let anxiety keep you from resting, I recommend putting on some soothing ASMR or any other gentle audios for your troubles.

5. Self – care day

Lastly, I recommend taking as little as an hour away from work, school, and other responsibilities to focus on yourself. For me, the most effective way to relax during this time is through a self-care routine – putting on some nice R&B while I moisturize my face, paint my nails, and restyle my braids. If this isn’t your cup of tea, you can always resort to others practices including, but not limited to, reorganizing your room, cleaning out your fridge/pantry, online shopping, and exercising. Ultimately, regardless of what you choose to do, this is your day to be as selfish you wish.

Howdy, My name is Teycha (Tay-sha). I am a psychology major on a pre-med path, hoping to pursue a career in psychiatry. Besides my interests in mental health/illnesses, I enjoy other hobbies including, but not limited to: reading romance books, writing, and spending money on food and clothing.