This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

This year has most definitely been a year of uncertainty, unknowns, and chaos. I think we have all had our fair share of struggles this year, whether they are COVID-19 related or not. This has just been a year of ~unfortunate~ events for everyone. However, Her Campus has your back with 5 ways to take care of yourself this year!

Exercise

Exercising is so beneficial to our health, especially right now, since we can’t really go and do anything else. With so many events and places either temporarily closed or canceled, we are all stuck at home. Most classes are not in person, and some jobs are still fully remote. Getting your daily exercise is so important, even if it is just a short jog/walk or a short ab workout. Exercising gives us the movement that we need to stay healthy. This is so beneficial in our everyday lives; it strengthens our immune system, improves our mood, decreases feelings of anxiety and depression, heightens our energy levels, and so much more! Go get moving :)

Do something by yourself that you enjoy (even if that means you do nothing!)

Doing something on your own that brings you happiness is an easy way to keep yourself busy! This could be watching a movie or a tv show, going to get coffee or making some at home, arts and crafts, doing your makeup, or anything that you enjoy and can do alone. This is a good way to make sure you spend time with yourself and stay busy and sane at the same time!

Hang Out with a Friend

This is an important way to keep the relationships in your life happy and healthy, all while having fun! This can easily be done safely with masks and distancing. Go get dinner or coffee with your friend and just hang out for a while! This will boost your mood, and it will, for sure, brighten your day and allow you to take a break from work and school.

Eat , Eat, Eat!

Eating consistently is one of the most important things to do to take care of yourself and keep yourself in shape. It is important to eat enough each day to maintain your energy levels, health, and overall well being! This is one of the easiest ways to keep yourself healthy. Find the healthy eating habits that work for you and try to follow them consistently. Your body will thank you!

Get on a Schedule

Maintaining a schedule in your daily life is one of the most important ways to keep your life balanced, healthy, and consistent. This does not mean you have to do the exact same thing every day… but keeping both a sleeping and general schedule to get your work or classes done throughout the day is key. This will help you to stay organized and remain less stressed out daily. Find what works for you and stick to it as much as possible! You will quickly feel more at ease and in control of your life. 

All of these tips are sure to help you take care of yourself during this year of uncertainties. Try one or try them all, but be sure to put yourself first and maintain your well-being during this time!

Junior Psychology major