This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Getting some exercise in can be tough, especially on those days where you feel like you have no energy, no time, and no motivation. If you’ve been wanting to go to the gym but you are not exactly mentally ready for it, here are a couple of tips to get you in that working out mood!

1. Buy cute workout clothes!

Having cute workout clothes is essential to a workout!! It’s true about what they say, if you feel good, you’ll look even better. Having cute workout clothes will give you that little boost of serotonin you need to show off your cute outfits to everyone at the gym. You can find great affordable workout clothes from Target, Amazon, and Forever 21. If you really feel like splurging, I would recommend Gymshark (afterpay and student discounts, yay!), Alphalete and Lululemon.

2. Plan your workouts ahead of time

It is so easy to get sidetracked at the gym if you don’t have a plan beforehand. You’ll see people using a machine you wanted to use and suddenly you’ll feel like walking out the gyms front doors and calling it a day. With a workout plan, you’ll know exactly what equipment you’ll need and how long you’ll take in the gym. If you see somebody using something you need, no worries, you can just go on to the next workout on the list and come back to the one you missed! You can find many workouts on Youtube to create your own plan, or you can download workout guides for a very reasonable price. Personally, I like to download workout guides from Dani Munoz.  

3. Find a workout buddy

Working out alone can not only be intimidating, but unmotivating sometimes as well. Having a workout buddy will not only keep you motivated and will push you past your limits, but most importantly, they will keep you in check on those days where you feel like skipping the gym. If you’ve ever wanted to workout early, having a workout buddy to keep you accountable for those early morning workouts is extremely important!

4. Create a bomb workout playlist

Having a good workout playlist is key to a good workout. With the right tunes going, I promise your workout will be so good you’ll forget about the pain of going to the gym. If you are not a fan of listening to music while working out, I highly suggest motivational podcasts. It’s like having your own personal coach in your ear to give you that extra push you need. 

5. Get ready if you want!

Just because you’re going to workout does not mean you don’t have to look good!! Who said you can’t look your best at the gym? If wearing makeup and having your hair done is something that makes you feel good, you should not have to feel guilty about it! You want to have the best possible workout, and if part of that means throwing on a little bit of foundation, blush and mascara and having your hair curled, then by all means, do what you like! I promise you won’t be the only girl at the gym with some makeup on and hair curled. 

6. Do whatever workouts YOU want

The beauty about going to the gym and creating your own workout plan is that you have complete control over what you want to do! If you don’t feel like doing cardio then don’t do it! If you want to go to group classes, do it. If you like doing 12, 3, 30 on the treadmill, then by all means, you do you! Working out should be something you enjoy, not something you dread. You want to use this time to destress and just worry about what’s in front of you.

Howdy! I am a senior International Studies Major and Latino Mexican/American Studies minor at Texas A&M University. I enjoy weightlifting and playing soccer, arts and crafts, reading, and taking care of children. I hope to be a teacher someday, hopefully somewhere abroad. I love my family, puppies and food :)