Wellness

Why It’s Okay To Buy Yourself Flowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I’ve always thought flowers make even the simplest things better. Flowers are a sign of peace or a gesture of kindness. You receive flowers after a performance, on a date, after a loss; Flowers are supposed to make the situation better. As of 2020, I’ve done a lot of soul searching and I’ve really taken a hold of my own happiness. A lot of people depend their happiness on someone/something else, becoming codependent on a person or situation for them to be okay. I was one of those people, I thought if something didn’t happen like the way I imagined then happiness wasn’t achievable. I’ve learned you have to hold yourself accountable for contentment. It’s still hard at times, it’s impossible to be happy all the time, but when I learned it’s okay to prioritize my own needs over the people I surround myself with, my life got a lot easier. Days can be hard, my mind will become an impending abyss, but I’ve trained (and still work on) that voice to stay positive even when the worst is upon me. Which leads me back to flowers, instead of waiting for something/someone to give you a reason to get flowers, buy them for yourself, you deserve it. You are a reason to get flowers. You are enough.

I'm Penelope Vaughn. I am an aspiring female director whose goal is to get oppressed voices be heard through storytelling. I'm a movie nerd, ice coffee connoisseur, and a professional tv binger.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson