Wellness > Health

Morning Routine and My Version of Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Since May, I started working out every single day and seeing Sundays as perfect days for yoga and stretching. Every Sunday, I would feel energized and calm. However, in days I didn’t practice yoga, I had my emotions running high and wouldn’t be as productive as I could be. To add to that, the relationship I had with my family was very turbulent. For that reason, I realized that I had to make some changes.

On August 16, I went to sleep at around 10:40 p.m. in order to wake up at 6:30 a.m., since I’m a morning person and, therefore, I’m way more productive early in the day. However, that wasn’t the only change I was planning to make. This is the first week in which I’m taking two morning 10-minute yoga classes as well as stretching and meditating before going to bed. It might sound silly but that has changed my life for the better. 

Now, I have more time to get my to-do lists, chores and cooking done. My thoughts are way more positive and calm; my body feels lighter, and my relationship with my family and myself is way better. There’s just something about getting most things done by 12 p.m. that makes me feel super happy and fulfilled. That gives me motivation to do even more than I have planned. If this resonates with you, I’ll let you know my whole morning routine. 

6:30 a.m./7:00 a.m. – Wake up, go to the bathroom, complete my skincare regimen, and read a chapter of Emma by Jane Austen.

7:00 a.m./7:30 a.m. – Feed my pets, take two yoga classes, and a 5-7 minute guided meditation affirmation

7:30 a.m./8:00 a.m. – Read another chapter of Emma, write up 10 things I’m grateful for, and spend some time with my pets.

8:00 a.m./9:00 a.m. – Make myself and my sister breakfast, eat while watching Youtube or Netflix, and chill for a bit.

9:00 a.m. – 9:50 a.m. – Do chores (putting away and doing the dishes, cleaning the kitchen, cleaning my table, etc.) while listening to music.

10:00 a.m./12:00 p.m. – Do everything related to work and checking social media.

12:30 p.m./1:30 p.m. – Cook and eat lunch while watching Youtube or Netflix. 

For the rest of the day, I usually chill with my family, read, watch Netflix, and cook more healthy food. In addition to that, I also dance in the afternoons whenever I feel like it. But, even when I don’t dance, I still listen to music since it’s one of my favorite hobbies. I’m happy that I also unconsciously changed my cell phone screen time because it was too high and I was getting worried. Honestly, all the changes I made were necessary and transformative. 

Being stuck at home for 5 months was messing with my thoughts, eating habits, and relationships – including the relationship I have with myself. It took months for me to make these big changes, but I’m proud of all the progress I made up into now. I started being more gentle and understanding with myself as well as loving my body for the way it is. 

My self-love and self-confidence are back and so is the real me. And in this moment, I couldn’t be happier. A change will always do you good, so if there’s something you’ve been meaning to change, just do it.

Tip: My yoga classes and morning guided meditations are from Yoga with Kassandra (Youtube); my night stretch routine is Stretch in Bed from Emi Wong (Youtube), and night guided meditation from Insight Timer app. 

25, Sagittarius, Brazilian. University of Tampa 2022’ English teacher, writer, and journalist I'm a language geek, adventure seeker, and bookworm. g.maistrobrasolin@spartans.ut.edu