Wellness > Health

How to Become Fearless in the Gym -Follow These 5 Rules to Feel Confident and Prepared to Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I’ve heard many stories of people explaining why they’re scared to go to the gym. They’re afraid of looking foolish if they don’t know how to use certain machines. They think intermediate-level members will have the ability to recognize that they don’t know what they’re doing at all and hold a judgemental perception. Some are afraid to go without a companion because they may need guidance from a friend who’s more experienced. Instead of feeling like a traveler who stepped into a foreign country without a map, they may feel more supported if they’re seen with another person. Perhaps novices will compare themselves to members at an intermediate level and feel inferior that they don’t have the same physique, level of stamina, or strength. In this article, I’m going to explain the rules of success, which contain mindset techniques to employ in order to overcome gym anxiety. In just a few minutes, you’ll feel motivated to begin taking steps toward the improvement of your fitness.

Rule Number 1: Realize That No One Cares

At the gym, people usually only concentrate on themselves, their routine, and doing what they need to do in order to get in and get out. Unless you’re doing something that’s silly or dangerous, like trying to swing from one side of the machine to the other with the lat pulldown cable, taking pictures of everyone, or setting up an easel and painting, most people are not looking at you. You’re practically invisible. If they are, and you’re sure that you’re not doing something unusual and strange, that’s pathetic on their part because they’re wasting time worrying about what you’re doing instead of being concerned with themselves. These types of people have insecurities that they feel they need to project onto other people. Don’t worry about the haters. Recognize that showing up and trying is the first step to fitness improvement, so you’re already making progress. 

What I want you to do is next time you go to the gym, select a random person, perhaps the dude wearing the black shirt doing bench presses. 

Now ask yourself this:

• Do you care about his form? 
  • Do you know or care about how many sets or reps he’s doing?
  • Are you in the mood to spend the next 3 minutes staring at him while he finishes this exercise?

The answer to all of these questions is likely “no.” Most regular gym-goers have the same mindset. So no need to worry. Work out like no one is watching, but of course, use common sense and don’t do anything silly or dangerous. 

Rule Number 2: Never Rely on a Companion

Sure, going to the gym with a buddy can be fun and, in some ways, beneficial if you’re not really sure how to use a machine or how to work out properly. The truth is, you should never rely on a companion to go to the gym with you constantly. We all have our own schedules and circumstances. 

Your friend Britney might not always be able to go to the gym with you every night at 7:00 p.m. because maybe she has a huge project to complete that’s due in 2 days, or maybe she has an event to go to for an organization she’s a part of. Whatever the case is, although someone may have a relatively fixed routine, that does not mean they’re always going to be available. Britney’s routine could completely change. One day, she may tell you that from now on, she’ll only be available to go to the gym in the morning, while you can’t go because you have classes. In another scenario, Britney tells you that she’ll work with you at 3:00 p.m. Then, at 2:45, she tells you that something came up and she won’t be able to work out until 8:00. Close to 8:00 p.m., she cancels. You have just wasted your entire day waiting around for someone to work out with you. As a self-reliant person, you could’ve gone at 3:00 p.m. and gotten it over with. If you rely on a companion to go to the gym with you every time, you’ll be ignoring the number one principle of gym success, which is consistency. Unfortunately, not everyone is going to be available, and in order to be successful, you need to work out by yourself some days. 

Working out in the gym is an independent activity anyway, so there really is no reason why you need to heavily rely on someone else. I understand that having a companion will make you feel supported if you feel foolish, but there are other ways to learn how to use gym equipment and how to work out properly. Putting yourself in uncomfortable situations is how you grow, so by learning how to be content with going to the gym alone, you begin to realize that it’s not so scary after all, and you’re completely capable of doing it.

Rule Number 3: Realize That Most Machines are Easy to Figure Out

You may feel a little frightened to try a machine for the first time because you think you’ll appear clueless, but actually, most machines are easy to use. You simply grab onto the handheld bars, and usually, you’re either pushing or pulling. Many machines also include straightforward, illustrated instructions. Of course, you should start at a lighter weight so you don’t hurt yourself in the process. Once you get a feel for how the machine is supposed to be used, then increase your weight as needed. 

Rule Number 4: Create a Plan Before You Go 

There are multiple ways you can do this.  

1. Watch YouTube tutorials or workout routines

For example, one YouTuber that I used to get workout routines from is Whitney Simmons. Even if you don’t find a specific person to consistently follow, there are plenty of tutorials out there for whatever you need.

1. Download a fitness app 

I use an app called Sculpt You that gives you a routine for each day of the week. They have beginner and intermediate workouts as well as at-home workouts and various diet plans. 

Having a plan before going to the gym will lessen the anxiety because you’ll know exactly what to do when you get there. 

Rule Number 5: If possible, try to go at roughly the same time every day 

If consistency is something you struggle with, or if going to the gym is currently a developing habit, it may help if you go to work at roughly the same time every day. That way, it becomes part of your routine. You can think of it as treating the gym like a class or a business. Class needs to be attended; otherwise, you’ll fail. A business needs people to operate it; otherwise, money is lost. Many regular gym members also attend on a routine basis, so if you choose to follow this tip, you’ll likely see many of the same people every day. The sight of familiar faces will help alleviate the fear of possible judgment from others.

Melody Valberg is a writer for the Tampa Her Campus chapter. Her articles cover the topics of emotional intelligence, college life and life advice. Outside of Her Campus, Melody is pursuing a degree in graphic design with a minor in marketing. She manages the social media accounts for the University of Tampa's Advertising Club and participates in UT's Accelerator program, where she diligently works to develop and launch her venture, Melody's Portraits. She previously interned for Kitchenery, where she was in charge of creating social media posts and email campaigns as well as writing/editing blogs in order to promote their products. She also has content creation experience with UT Student Productions. In her free time, Melody loves traveling, going to the beach, painting, singing karaoke, watching drag shows, spending quality time with her friends and family and journaling. She's also still a youtube kid at heart.