This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Anxiety is no walk in the park, and it’s really not what everyone has turned it into by playing it off online these days. Scrolling through social media, I’m sure you can pinpoint at least 20 jokes a day about anxiety on Twitter, ranging from people talking about starting a new job to a girl who drank too much coffee and can’t stop shaking. While both of these events hold true in that they won’t help anxiety, I think we really need to take a step back and analyze what this really is. Of course it’s different for all people, and just because you may have it worse doesn’t mean you should discredit others. 

Anxiety in its worst forms will leave you feeling brain dead and pretty much physically dead. I wish I could say that I took part in something like yoga when my anxiety got really bad, but let’s face it, when I’m hyperventilating in my car because I spilled my coffee, I don’t really feel like breaking out into a tree pose. We do, however, each need to find what works for us, because until we do, the world will just feel like it’s getting smaller and smaller until we finally break. 

It doesn’t need to be the classic meditation or journaling route (although this really does help) but in order to not fly off the deep end, you really have to take the time to get to know yourself, what upsets you, and how you can take the anxiety down a notch. Take care of your mind, take care of your body, and take care of your soul.

My name is Alexis Smith and I am a First-Year Student at the University of Tampa majoring in Sports Management!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson