This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.
  1. Wake up early – When we wake up early and get our day started faster, we feel more productive, leading to a more productive day, and eventually a more productive life.
  2. Make your bed — It seems dumb, but making your bed every day impulses you to continue accomplishing tasks throughout the day, making you feel rewarded as the day goes on.
  3. Breathing exercises — When you feel like you are having an anxiety attack, sit down and do 5 long breaths. On each inhale count to 4 and on each exhale count to four. Do that 5 times and afterward,s you will feel more in control of the situation.​
  4. Take a cold shower — A study done by the researcher Nikolai Shevchuk of the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine has found that taking a cold shower can treat and possibly prevent depression and anxiety.​
  5. Eat some ice cream –– Plain and simple. Sometimes we just need something to sweeten our days.​
  6. Journal– Journaling can be great for anxiety. When you can’t seem to gather your thoughts, a good way to regain control is to write everything out on a piece of paper. This will slow time down and make you feel organized with your thoughts.​
  7. Gratitude — We often take for granted all of the things we have and how lucky we are because we focus on the bad. Start focusing on the good. Every day write down 3 things in your life that you are grateful for. You will start to feel appreciative of your life.​
  8. Delete social media once in a while — Social media is toxic for our mental health. We often compare ourselves to others, what they’re doing, what they look like, who they’re with, etc. This can be detrimental, so shutting it out and deleting your social media every once in a while for a detox can work wonders.

Contacts (For UT Students):

Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely