Wellness > Mental Health

Let Us Breathe: The Toxicity of Small University Hustle Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Going to a small liberal arts college presents a unique experience that few people outside of these universities will understand. With tiny class sizes and a plethora of clubs and activities, students are left with a variety of opportunities to get involved on campus. Although campus involvement is a great way to make friends and build your resume, the way small schools go about it isn’t always the best.

Personally, I am a journalism major with a minor in publishing and editing, meaning that I have a lot of classwork to do, specifically writing. In addition to schoolwork, I am in a sorority, and I write for two on-campus publications, while also being a national writer for Her Campus. Whenever I tell people about all the things I do, they always respond with, “Man I bet you do a lot of writing.” And the short answer is yes, I do however, I love writing. I wouldn’t have enrolled as a journalism major if I didn’t love to write, but sometimes, it gets exhausting. As I’m writing this right now, I am thinking of all the other things I need to do before the day ends. This vicious cycle of to-do’s is a big problem that I have noticed on Susquehanna’s campus, and I feel that it is fair to assume this problem is elsewhere too.

Almost all of my friends are enrolled with not only a major, but also a minor, while some even have multiple majors and numerous minors. This aspect of Susquehanna’s culture is something the university prides itself on. When appealing to possible new students, admissions will boast that their students are constantly challenging themselves academically. However, what they fail to mention is the toll it takes on us.

Aside from the strenuous academic expectations, the university also pushes the narrative that its students are heavily involved on campus. Regardless of how many majors or minors you have, the culture expects you to take on multiple clubs and organizations. If you’re in Greek Life, than you’re supposed to join an intramural sport or a recreational club. If you’re on a team, than you still need to join something pertaining to your major. No matter how many organizations you join, there is still more to always be done.

This isn’t just an assumption I have, but a notion that Susquehanna perpetuates. This university prides itself on producing citizens that will be well-involved members of society. Even though this is a great thing to accomplish, the student body of Susquehanna deserves to know that it is okay to say no. You’re allowed to turn down an executive position in a club or leave a team because you are too stressed. You’re allowed to take time for yourself instead of picking up an extra class. I have seen far too many of my peers get burnt out each semester, and I am tired of watching my friends’ mental health crumble just because they feel like they have to do it all.

So, take a break. Take a step back. And breathe. Your classes and clubs will still be there when you get back.

Hi! I'm Emily Costantino and I am a Journalism and Digital Content major at Susquehanna University. I work as both an on-campus member and a national writer for Her Campus.