College is About the Friends that You Make Not the Classes that You Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I am a sophomore in college and still finding myself. Some days I feel like I would rather hide in the shadows of someone else because it is easier to try and be someone that I am not. Then I came to the realization that the way that I live my college life should be based on what makes me happy, not what I do because other people do it. Sometimes it happens because we would rather please other people than please ourselves. 

With a new year comes new opportunities to change the way we live our lives and try to better ourselves. I challenge you to write down at least one New Year’s resolution because you would be surprised at how easy it is to stick to something that you write down.  

I joined a Greek organization and I could not be prouder of how much I have accomplished so far. I surpassed the amount of community service hours that I needed to complete because I was determined to do as much as I could. It is like people say: You get out of it what you put into it. This is an important motto to me because it reminds me to do the best I can in everything I do. It also helps me to set goals and stick to them.

With the Greek organization came my amazing friends that I would not trade for the world. I have people to laugh with and make jokes with and spend time with. Half of the time I am in my friend’s room because I know that we can do homework and projects together.

The Greek organization I joined was not part of my original plan but now that I joined I would not go back in time and undo it.

I have friends that I am happy with because I spent some time changing the way that I see my time in college and started working on the way I treat my friends. I am so glad my friend group changed because I am so much happier at college than I ever was in my first year at college. Sometimes when I am at home, I say that I would rather be at school because then I can hang out with my friends whenever we both have free time.

I also have made friends because of the classes that I take. Other people are acquaintances that I can have a nice conversation with when we are both walking the same direction but are going to different places. I can’t wait to see where college takes me over the next couple of months and years because I now know where I fit in this world and I am so happy that I have the most supportive friends. They’re people that would do me a favor because they are amazing and would love to help me when they can. They’re people that know I will sit and listen to them vent. I know that my friends will be there for me when I need them and I will be there for them when they need me.  

Accounting Major with a Minor in Personal and Organizational Communications
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University