Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Tips to Beat The Corona Blues This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This year has been a pretty hectic and absolutely unprecedented time for the world. For many, it’s been really hard to cope with all the changes COVID-19 has presented in our lives. For me personally, I’ve struggled to adjust to what my new normal has become. But with Fall approaching and social activities slowly opening themselves up, I see a great opportunity to get back on track with doing things that feel good. Here are some things you can do that may help boost your mood and get you in the Fall spirit this season.

Going to an orchard or farm

Apple picking is an activity that can be socially distant and fun by yourself or with others. Farm settings always put me in a better mood, I love seeing the animals and being able to purchase fresh food products or locally made goods. This can be a good way to get your steps in for the day and have fun doing a traditional Fall activity.

Baking or cooking

Rai Vidanes

Making food can be therapeutic when you’re stuck inside on a rainy day or just quarantining in your home.  Apple butter and cinnamon apple crumb cake have been on my to do list to learn. Apple desserts can give you good use of the fruit after you’re done apple picking, but also baking in general can be a great way to develop a new skill and put your mind into an activity you can feel accomplished about. I’ve also been really interested in learning how to make different soups with the colder weather approaching.

Setting intentions

Back-to-school supplies, agenda
Alexa Williams

Setting your intentions for the month can help orient where you want your energy to be at and what you want to feel for the weeks to come. If you have a new skill you want to work on or a new outlook you want to have on a specific area of your life, try writing down your intentions at the beginning of the month to help keep you on the right track and align yourself with your goals.

Decorating your space

white teacup in fall bedroom
Photo by Elora Allen from Unsplash

One way to help add to the comfort in your room or apartment, can be purchasing items that will help you relax and add on to the cozy fall atmosphere. For me, I recently decorated my desk area where I do my schoolwork, which has helped me settle into school mode while I’m unable to be there in person. I light a candle and then begin watching my lectures, it sets a calming mood and helps me to look on the bright side of remote learning—you get to set the atmosphere.

Connect with others

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash

Although we not be able to hang out with all our friends right now, you can still reach out or utilize apps like Zoom to connect to the people you love. I’ve also recently discovered a program that gets women together to go on trips, do activities, and create friendships. It’s called @girlfriendsboston on Instagram! They host zoom sessions to do various activities as well! Yesterday, they did a zoom class where they made apple crisps. Finding programs like these can definitely help to offer a little relief to feeling lonely or restless during this time.

Sophomore studying Advertising with a minor in Film and Media.
Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.