This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With the early sunsets and cold winter weather forcing us to stay inside, many of us have experienced some aspect of what is commonly referred to as “the winter blues.” As the days become shorter and darker, we often find ourselves lacking motivation and not feeling like ourselves. These feelings are fairly common during the gloomy months of winter. However, in some cases, they can become more serious and begin to interfere with your daily activities. More specifically, significant changes in mood and behavior may indicate the presence of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

What is Seasonal Affective Disorder?

The development of Seasonal Affective Disorder is linked specifically to the shortened days and lack of daylight. It typically follows a consistent pattern: it heightens during the fall and winter, most commonly worsening during the months of January and February, and begins to go away as the spring and summer months arrive. Seasonal Affective Disorder is relatively common, affecting more than three million people in the United States every year, and it is more common in women than in men.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is characterized as a type of depression and includes symptoms usually associated with Major Depressive Disorder. This may include changes in appetite and weight, loss of interest in activities, issues with sleep, fatigue, irritability, and difficulty focusing. Individuals may also experience thoughts of suicide and feelings of guilt or worthlessness. In addition, risk factors include both family history and being located farther away from the equator.

How Can Seasonal Affective Disorder be Treated?

Though professionals still do not know much about Seasonal Affective Disorder, there are multiple treatment methods that have shown to be effective.

One of the main forms of treatment used is light therapy. Because the disorder is linked with a lack of sunlight, individuals undergoing light therapy are typically instructed to sit for about 20 minutes in front of a special light therapy box each morning. Even if you are not experiencing treatment, increasing your exposure to sunlight through windows or spending time outside can help improve certain symptoms.

Other forms of treatment include both cognitive behavior therapy and certain forms of medication. It has also been noted that symptoms can be improved through general health and wellness, including exercise, healthy eating, and increased group activity.

This February, make sure you start conversations with those close to you regarding winter’s effects on mood, energy, and behavior. If you, a friend, or a family member are experiencing symptoms and suspect you may have Seasonal Affective Disorder, it is essential that you seek the guidance of a mental professional. With the right help, symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder can be improved, increasing the quality of life for someone suffering the rest of the winter.

Kaviya is a junior studying psychology. Her hobbies include drawing and reading thriller/mystery novels, and she hopes to work in the field of clinical psychology one day.
Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.