This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As you enter your official ‘adult’ years, there is a desire to get your life together. We want to get our lives on track personally and professionally to reach peak adulting. I turned 20 this past January, and I did feel like I needed to make some personal changes. For me, this means taking control of my physical and mental health during a pandemic. It should be easy, right? One step that I decided I needed to take towards overall better health was to make sure my skin was being taken care of properly. When I turned 19, I had an active sarcoma tumor removed from above my eyebrow. This past January, I had two more skin abnormalities removed; This time, they were benign. Your skin is such an important and underappreciated organ. We talk about heart and brain health, but how should you take care of your skin? I decided to do some research on how to keep your skin healthy in your twenties. What I found was tons of articles all talking about different routines and products. So here’s a summary of my findings!

The most vital part of having healthy skin for young people is maintaining healthy habits. Drinking lots of water, eating healthy, and getting plenty of exercise and sleep. These habits are incredibly vital to maintaining your skin. Many doctors recommend eating foods that are rich in antioxidants. This is mainly fruits and vegetables that are darker in color, like spinach and blueberries. Avoiding high amounts of dairy and sugar will reduce inflammation that usually leads to breakouts and rashes. As a college student, I know I get less sleep than I should, but that can cause your skin to be dull and be more prone to breakouts. Another enemy to your skin is chronic stress, which I know most women (both in college and in the workforce) struggle with these days. It’s hard not to be stressed when you’re in Zoom meetings for 6 hours a day. Invest in self-care. Exercise and meditation are easy and effective ways to reduce stress and have positive effects on your skin.

Healthy skin also requires some maintenance. Most twenty-year-olds shouldn’t have an overly complicated skin routine because our skin doesn’t need it. Dermatologists say a more simple routine is perfect for your twenties since the skin is at its peak. Your routine needs six essential items: cleanser, vitamin C, retinol, eye cream, moisturizer, and sunscreen.

The Cleanser

At this point in your skin’s life, you should treat her kindly and gently. Don’t go all-in on the exfoliation. A gentle cleanser that protects your skin’s natural oils as well as cleaning off the day’s pollutants, especially living in a city. You should wash your face with a cleanser both in the AM and PM. Remember only to use lukewarm water! Too hot can strip the skin of natural oils and dry your face out.

Vitamin C

When it comes to that bright, youthful glow I often see on Instagram influencers; I get super jealous. During my research, I found that vitamin C is recommended for most people in their twenties to get that bright natural glow. It also is a natural protectant against pollution and UV rays. I use the Murad Essential-C Toner, and it gives me that layer of protection and brightens my skin.

Retinols

Every single article I read emphasized starting to use retinol as soon as you can. Retinol treatments are like the magic wand of skincare. They treat acne, brighten skin, fade dark spots, and prevent wrinkles. Before your 30’s, your skin regenerates every 28 days and slows down as you get older, causing you to look aged, but using a light retinol treatment in your twenties can help reduce the effects of aging later in life. Be careful and only use it lightly, for now!

Moisturizer and Eye Cream

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! That’s a huge part of healthy skin. The skin around our eyes is the most sensitive and thinnest, so they tend to be the first place the effects of aging show as young as our early twenties. I know that I started to see dark bags appear under my eyes due to spending late nights studying. Adding an eye cream to your routine right now, even if you don’t have dark circles or wrinkles, can plump and moisturize your under eye and prevent signs of aging later. In addition to eye cream, we all need a good moisturizer, especially for winters in Boston. The winter air can cause dehydrated skin, which can cause your skin to look dull.

Sunscreen

This is arguably the most crucial part of any skin routine, no matter what age. It’s non-negotiable. If you get anything from this article, it’s to wear sunscreen every single day. No matter if it’s sunny or grey, sunscreen is so fundamental in maintaining healthy skin. Most dermatologists recommend a sunscreen 50 SPF or higher. It is crucial in preventing skin damage that leads to premature aging and skin cancer. Sunscreens with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide create a nice matte finish (no need for foundation) and prevent breakouts in most women in their twenties. It’s a win-win scenario.

In conclusion: it’s your skin. We shouldn’t put too much pressure on how our skin should look, but how we feel. Using products and developing good habits for healthy skin should be our priority, rather than trying to achieve that ‘airbrush’ look that’s projected on our generation. Your skin is yours to take care of. Go out and enjoy all that natural collagen girl!

Bronwyn Crick

Suffolk '23

Bronwyn Crick is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PPE). She is originally from Vail, Colorado. In addition to Her Campus, Bronwyn enjoys being a part of the Suffolk F1 club and is a Ram Supporter, helping first-year Suffolk Students adjust to life at Suffolk. She enjoys reading and painting, as well as exploring new places.
Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.