nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Get Involved on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

The one thing I recall going into college from high school was something along the lines of always trying to be a “well-rounded” student. In high school, I was seemingly already a well-rounded student by the standards of good academic standing and involvement outside of the classroom for things such as the robotics club. The thing about being a well-rounded student is that it still applies in college! Let me tell you why.

College, compared to high school, will more than likely be EXTREMELY big. It is a bigger setting for you to spread your wings and find things you like and don’t like. It is a chance for you to explore all the options you can when it comes to academics, friend groups, and most importantly yourself. In this learning experience, you will also learn that the same things that made you look good on an application to college would have to be repeated for a resume for after college. By that I mean you literally have to get involved on campus, yet again! 

Here’s the thing about college though, there are so many more options than high school can ever give you in terms of becoming a well-rounded student. Yeah, I’m sure you did a lot in high school to really build your credentials, but to think about the larger amounts of clubs and organizations on campus, the opportunities to engage in community service, chances at internships, to study abroad, and much more is seemingly infinite. Not only that, but if you think about it college is definitely much harder than high school. So, when potential employers see your resume booming with a bunch of activities, experiences, and skill sets you can imagine they’d see you as a very interesting candidate. This makes you a more competitive applicant employers and opportunities in the future. How do you get involved on campus? It’s really simple actually, you can go to any involvement fairs on campus and see what’s being offered. Typically, clubs and organizations on campus come together to advertise themselves to find potential new members and advertise for their upcoming events during involvement fairs. It never hurts to try and stick your foot out there! Sometimes involvement on campus comes from class participation and good academic merit. Professors can see when students in their classes are truly interested and passionate about what’s being taught. It especially helps if you go to their office hours or talk to them after class. You can gain opportunities to work in their labs for research. Another way to get involved on campus can be in your own dorms, and yes, I’m talking about hall councils. Not only can you stay close to your room but you never even have to leave your building to do anything. 

All in all, what I’m trying to say is to get involved on campus. It opens up so many opportunities for you and keeps you busy. It helps you meet new people and have extra things to write on your resumes for grad schools, medical schools, law schools, etc. The world, or should I say campus, is your oyster, bustling with many pearls for you to discover. 

Graceann Bhagat

Stony Brook '20

Name: Graceann Bhagat  Year: Senior  Major: Double Major in Biology (Neuroscience) and History (European History)  I write about the mediocre things in life that don't matter but do.   
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.