This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I’ve always liked to say that before I am a girl, a daughter, a girlfriend, a sister or a friend, I am a human being above all, and therefore that is what I should be judged on.

But even by calling myself a human being, I am limiting myself.

I am limiting myself to a being that is vulnerable; a piece of flesh that can burn, bleed, and wrinkle. I am limiting myself as to what my body can do. 

I cannot fly or walk on the ceiling. I can walk, I can run, but eventually my human body will tire, and I’ll be limited yet again.

But I can run, and I can walk, so am I a runner or am I a walker? Am I what I do or am I the decision I make on whether to run or to walk today?

A decision is a thought that is conveyed through an action. “I think, therefore I am,” but what makes me make the decisions I make? What makes me capable of such a complex activity?

Maybe it’s what my mom and dad taught me as a child or what I learned at school today. Maybe it’s the weather outside. I don’t know. 

I don’t know who I am or what makes me do the things I do.

What I do know is all that I am not.

I am not my clothes, my height or my weight.

I am not a material thing or a passing fling.  

I am not smart; I am not dumb. I am not my past or my future.

That is someone I used to be and someone I am not yet.

I simply just exist today. Today I am here, in the now.

That is who I am. 

Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.