Stony Brook Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

With finals coming up around the corner, we decided to ask SBU students where their favorite place to study is on campus. Yeah the Central Reading Room is great, but you never know! Explore some of these Stony Brook favorites:

“I like to study in the Union (those two people booths) because I won’t be distracted if friends want to sit with me and talk. There are outlets that I can plug my laptop in to, unlike in the library, and the WiFi is pretty good there. The recessed lighting hits the tables in a way to make everything else around me seem dark and this helps me concentrate too! If I’m ever hungry, I can get up and get food. And I am really close to those big windows that open out in to the courtyard so I can see groups of friends chilling. That’s my favorite spot. I also like Benedict main lounge. Sometimes it can get noisy but it’s cool seeing friends walk in and out or studying with their other friends. It’s the kind of atmosphere that I think college should have. Collective misery from studying in to the late night – people are always in here doing work and I think its cute. :)”

– Amanda

Stacks, 4th Floor! Nice and homey yellow lights, not too busy and theres always an outlet!”

– Siddhi

Downstairs in the classroom of my building. It’s closer and not that many people go there.”

– Selvin

“My favorite place to study is in the Library on the second floor of the North Reading Room. It’s extremely quiet and there are no people to distract me. I always try to get the corner cubicle all the way in the back right of the political document stacks. There’s an outlet and a comfy chair!”

– Justine

Main stacks! Mainly just because there’s always outlets and it’s really easy to concentrate and stay focused.”

– Zac

“The middle of the dining area in the union commons. It’s great because there’s so much background noise, it really forces you to study on your work!”

– Katy

“I like to study in the HSC (Health Science Center) because it’s really quiet and when I’m hungry they have really good food right there.”

– Andrea

“The Wolfie Lounge next to Starbucks (in the Union) because it’s quiet, but there’s some background noise. It’s also really close to drinks and food so I can stay there all day without interrupting my studying. Plus, it’s a popular place to come so I can take a study break and talk to my friends when I need a break.”

– Bri

The quiet section of the north reading room all the way in the back because there are absolutely no distractions and the books make me want to study. Also the music library in a cubical.”

– Christian

Stony Brook isn’t easy. Just remember to stay calm, work hard, and everything will be okay. Good luck to everyone on finals!

Sarah Watkins

Stony Brook

Sarah Watkins is a transfer student at Boston University studying sociology. Before transferring to BU she co-founded HC Stony Brook at Stony Brook Univeristy. Her interests include: How I Met Your Mother, juice cleanses, astrology, talking about traffic (like a true LA native), Arctic Monkeys, and the oxford comma. Her current dream job is to become a professor in sociology, and on any given day you can find her drinking copious amounts of coffee and reading her sociology textbook like it's a novel.