neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Simple 2018 Resolutions for Better Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

New Year’s resolutions are time to better yourself, grow and get one step closer to reaching your goals.The truth is, resolutions are HARD. That’s why we procrastinate a whole year just to make the same resolution next year. By keeping your resolutions simple and realistic, they are easy to follow and complete. In addition, you will feel much better when you accomplish the goals you set out to do. Here are a few effortless resolutions off my list that I plan to stick to this year.

1. Drink More Water

It’s so simple and the benefits are huge! Staying hydrated helps your skin, kidneys and digestion. It maintains an overall balance of your mood and energy. Start carrying a bigger water bottle around. When you go to the dining hall, bring your water bottle so you don’t feel tempted to drink soda or juice.

2. Five Minutes of Stretches Each Day

Every morning when you wake up, do some light stretches to wake your body up and get your body moving. Light exercises help improve your circulation. Touch your toes, do some high knees, leg lifts, move your arms in a circle. You get the idea! It’s a perfect way to start the morning and avoid being sluggish.

3. Develop a Skin Care Routine 

No matter how elaborate or how simple, form some type of routine that you adhere to strictly. Whether it’s washing your face every night, applying toner, or doing a face mask every weekend, stick to it! In my opinion, keeping my skin clean and moisturized improves my overall mood. It doesn’t have to be expensive either! It can be as simple as soap and water.

4. Cut Back on Coffee

No one wants to hear this, but it’s probably true. Think about how much caffeine you drink a week. Of course, sometimes we need that extra push during finals or midterms. Do we really need all that extra sugar and caffeine every day? If you absolutely can’t live without it, try going without coffee for a few days a week instead of drinking it every day.

5. Write About Your Day

Write down your thoughts, whether happy or sad. Write about things you’re interested in, or your long-term goals. Even if you don’t keep a journal, just writing down your thoughts can help you feel better.

6. Reward Yourself

In the midst of a chaotic semester, remind yourself that you deserve a break. Hangout with your friends, go to the movies or splurge on that Starbucks drink you’ve been craving all week. You need a healthy balance in your life.

The new year is a time for improving our health and making changes. No one says we have to figure it all out, but we sure can try. By changing the little things in our lives, it makes all the difference! What are some of your 2018 resolutions?

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor