girl power 1
girl power 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Put Yourself First with No Regrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Times are changing and every day we see how much the empowerment of women and self-love is important for our health as growing women. We are no longer in a time where we have to stay in a friendship or relationship to make the other person happy. For a lot of us, we are no longer in a place to risk our own happiness to make everyone around us happy and that does not make you a selfish person.

We are in an era of time where our opinions do in fact matter! With generations growing up and being raised to be able to freely express how they feel, who they are, and where they come from, it is safe to say that things are not how they used to be. In moments where we would agree to go places just because everyone around us would want to, we take a step back instead of forward. We speak up!

Many people will wonder how we got to this stage in life where everyone has opinions that range in multitude, and I think it’s societal progress. Many of us are fortunate enough to live in a society where putting ourselves and our opinions first is applauded and for those who are not yet there, know that there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

A lot of the empowerment we get comes from the idols we have. Whether it is the new Taylor Swift Album or the Adele album that talks about finding self-worth and self-love in the hardest times, seeing that if people who have the attention of millions, can still stand up and speak from the hearts with no regrets, shows just how important it is to do it.

Now I know what you’re going to say, what does this have to do with putting yourself first? When you are at the point of your life where the opinions and thoughts of others simply do not matter anymore, there is nothing holding you back. Whether it is taking that step back and saying, “You know what, I don’t want to go out tonight” or saying, “I deserve better than this”, you are no longer thinking about the backlash, the opinions, or the feelings of the other person. Life is too short to wish you did things differently because you were too afraid to do them at the moment.

So, with, do what makes you happy. Say the things that you believe in. Retweet the post on Twitter that you didn’t retweet because you were scared that the wrong people might see. Take a step back from that relationship that was only making one person happy, and that one person wasn’t you. Tell yourself that you deserve better, that you are better. Life is full of yes’s and no’s and you should use them however you want; regardless of what you think other people might prefer you to do.

Welcome! My name is Jasmine Cruz and I am a junior at Stony Brook. I am a Political Science major with the intent to go to law school after. I love to write and make others feel empowered as well as feeling all sorts of emotions with my writing. Thanks for reading !