This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I don’t know if this is everyone’s experience, but since college began, I have not really considered summer as a ‘break’.

As a pre-med student, or let’s be real here, a Stony Brook student in general, it’s hard to imagine having the power to do nothing, there’s always something to do. My summers or holiday breaks throughout the year were filled with work, classes, internships, research, or something (I even had to spend my Thanksgiving stuck behind my Brightspace.) I never thought I would be able to have nothing on my plate, especially for weeks on end.

But for the first time in years, this was my first free winter break. I didn’t have any trips planned or shifts scheduled or something to study for; I had absolutely nothing significant going on.

The best option would have been to take this time to better myself and indulge in my hobbies and self-care, but honestly, this was my first time in years being able to do nothing, and I hate to say that I took full advantage of it.

I slept til noon practically every day; I rewatched Friends and started The Big Bang Theory; I saw my friends over and over again, I went to Milano Bean in Bay Shore practically fifty times. I tried a bunch of new restaurants; I destroyed my sleep schedule, and most significantly, I drained my bank account.

So here I am now, new into the second semester, and definitely my hardest semester yet. Looking back, I wish I had prepared more to deal with the new influx of responsibilities on my plate. I started a new part-time job the first week (which I was relieved of because winter break demolished my savings account), but I also had to learn to fit it in with lab research and the upper-division courses I am currently taking.

Going from having nothing to do to having everything to do is terrifying, but I have been trying to find ways to manage this change.

So now that the first block of midterms has (finally) gone through, I’ll go into some of the changes I have made.

• Waking up Earlier: I never in my life thought I would become an early bird, but starting my day a few hours before having to leave my house has honestly changed my routine; giving me some time in the morning to myself, and to prepare mentally for the day.
  • Caffeine Routine: I have always been the ‘drink coffee as breakfast” kind of person, which honestly, looking back, is probably the worst thing you can do for yourself; I’m the biggest advocate for a daily sweet treat, but saving it for later in the day, like noon or a few hours after breakfast. It has allowed me to muster up some of my own energy rather than relying on caffeine. It has also saved me from the coffee crash that I used to get, leaving me exhausted for the majority of the day.
  • Breakfast: This change kind of goes hand in hand with the caffeine routine, but I never used to have breakfast until I started waking up earlier, and I think it’s the best thing someone can do for themselves. It’s corny to say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but the fact of the matter is, it really is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast sets your body for the rest of the day, it sets your metabolism overall, and it truly did change my routine.
  • Prioritizing Movement: I have been someone who enjoys exercise and getting movement in, but in the past, I have been forgetful about it, and have not made the time. Going to the gym especially can be hard to fit in. I have always been a big fan of yoga, but this semester I have been setting time aside for some yoga/pilates every morning before my day starts, or every night when my day ends. It has felt so much better to incorporate this into my routine. Moving your body mindfully is something people (me included) tend to forget to make time for, but once I do, it truly improves my well-being.
  • Actually Going To Lecture: Most of my lectures this semester haven’t been recorded or have live clickers, forcing me to actually view them live or go in person. I thought I would dread this, since I always end up binge-watching my lectures before an exam, however, this new factor has improved my learning and study habits, I have felt less overwhelmed than I have in the past, despite taking harder classes, and it has helped with my anxiety insanely. Doing little by little of each class every day, rather than cramming days before an exam, has changed my learning habits for the better!

I can’t really say how the rest of my semester will go, but so far I have felt better than I have my last few semesters, and my hopes are high. I have always been bad at balancing a school-life-work-social balance, and I’m still learning what’s best for me, but so far, it’s been going well!

Sarah Khan

Stony Brook '25

My name is Sarah Khan and I'm a junior majoring in Biology/Neuro at Stony Brook! I'm usually always stuck in some sort of lab or the library, I'm really into research but out of there I love to write and read poetry! I absolutely love coffee and tea, and I'm a huge matcha fan, I'm always down to go to a local cafe and you can always find me with some sort of drink.