This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I grew up gardening fruits and vegetables, and it wasn’t until this year that I was able to grow a fruit and vegetable garden on my own. I planted seeds for celery, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and green beans in the ground of my backyard using an organic soil mix that my dad helped me make. The plants grew, and I accidentally left them alone for too long without the proper care they deserved. It wasn’t until there was a storm one day that I went to check on my baby plants.

As expected, the garden was overgrown, with the plants vining together, fighting each other to be the closest to the sunlight. When I realized that my neglect had caused them to fight with each other for survival, I committed myself to correct this.

I gently unraveled the plants and carefully tied them up to a fence and trellises to guide their growth toward the Sun. This sounds like a simple task, but it took hours and hours across several days. However, I loved every second of it. Guiding their growth is a continuous task too, as I have to continually add support for the plants as they grow their respective fruits and vegetables that weigh them down.

My day always gets better when I attend to the needs of my plants. Watching them grow and watching my hard work pay off is so rewarding. I started my bell pepper plants like seeds, and now, they are over five feet tall! I don’t use fertilizer either; my plants are grown completely organically. Knowing that their growth is from my nurturing and not from fertilizer makes the fruits they produce that much sweeter (and in the case of the jalapenos, that much spicier.)

My love for gardening doesn’t end with the art of nurturing the plant life before me, though. It extends to the nourishment of my own life. Gardening is like meditating to me, as I am able to blot the swirl of thoughts in my head out by focusing on my plants. Connecting with Earth by getting my hands in the soil and leaves grounds me and allows me to feel peaceful.

There is also a creative aspect in the process, as well, as I have to figure out which structure near my garden is the best to tie each plant in order to guide its growth. I will admit that my garden looks like one of those detective’s boards you see on TV with a string connecting everything together.

Additionally, in “Gardening for health: a regular dose of gardening,” Richard Thompson writes, “Many studies in the UK and other countries concur that higher proportions of green space, especially biodiverse habitats, are associated with less depression, anxiety, and stress…” In this way, not only does gardening provide physical exercise, but it also can improve mental health. While I prefer to garden alone, gardening can also be a socially distant activity in community gardens. This provides the elevated mood levels that socialization causes in addition to the physical and mental benefits of gardening. Similarly, my diet is much healthier, as I eat the fruits and vegetables that I grow.

Oleg

I am so grateful to have the opportunity to garden, and I feel like I grow more and more as a person each day I care for my plants. There are countless benefits to gardening, and I highly recommend it. Also, a backyard is not needed to garden. All that’s needed is a window with sunlight, a pot, soil, the plants themselves, and some water for nourishment. And just like that, you’re ready to grow your green empire!

Lauren Taglienti is a writer of short stories, essays, articles, novels, and plays whose work has appeared in numerous publications. She is studying English and creative writing at Stony Brook University and interns for bestselling author and filmmaker Adriana Trigiani. Lauren is an open book who thrives when she is vulnerable because that is how she conquers her fears and connects with people. Her passions include health, wellness, self-improvement, being creative, helping others, and spreading the messages of empathy and kindness.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.