Essential Oils to Start Your Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Essential oils are becoming significantly more popular as the world enters a more health-conscious time. You can use essential oils in a variety of ways, including diffusing it and breathing in the benefits, putting a drop in your morning tea, or even directly onto your skin, depending on which oils you get. The best to buy are the 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils, as those oils will have undergone the most tests to make sure the oils are as concentrated and pure from the source as possible.

Now, if you’re a beginner, here are five essential oils that you should have in your collection. 

1. Tea Tree

• Speeds up the healing of wounds
  • Protects from infections
  • Helps the body absorb nutrients from foods
  • Diminishes the appearance of scars
  • Can be used in your hair to help with dandruff
  • Can help control acne and smooth out the skin
  • Can ease muscular pains and aches

2. Peppermint

• Calms the mind and body
  • Relieves sore muscles
  • Can freshen bad breath
  • Soothes digestive issues
  • Reduces muscle spasms
  • Good for reducing nausea
  • Relieves headaches
  • Improves mental focus
  • Boosts energy

3. Frankincense

• Can be used in a bath for stress relief
  • Fights anxiety
  • Increases relaxation
  • Increases your spiritual connection
  • Amplifies your intuition
  • Eliminates bacteria
  • Can prevent tooth decay
  • Reduces wrinkles
  • Helps relieve inflammation

4. Eucalyptus

• Can be used to lock moisture into your hair
  • Rejuvenates sore hands and feet
  • Can be used to clear a sore throat
  • Removes strong odors
  • Kills mold in your home
  • Helps with asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory ailments
  • Stimulates immunity

5. Lavender

• Protects against diabetes symptoms
  • Helps heal burns and other wounds
  • Eliminates insomnia
  • Helps relieve headaches
  • Can be used to treat anxiety and depression
  • Relieves pain
  • Reverses early signs of aging
  • Can relieve tension
  • Relieves foot cramps

The list doesn’t stop here. You can use essential oils in recipes, mix it into your own perfume, add it to your bath, make your own toothpaste, etc. The uses are endless. You can even help heal your whole family by diffusing the oils. That way a single drop goes a long way. Happy Healing!

Sources:

1. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-tea-tree-essential-oil.html

2. https://healthyfocus.org/10-essential-oils-for-muscle-spasms-and-cramps/

3. https://draxe.com/peppermint-oil-uses-benefits/

Reena Khan

Stony Brook

Name: Reena Khan Year: Senior Major: English with Journalism Minor Hometown: Valley Stream, NY What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: I can work with a community of beautiful and diverse women to share our stories, raise our voices, and bring each other together through writing. HerCampus represents the unification of women and there's nothing I appreciate more! Where do you want to be in 5 years? Hopefully living somewhere tropical with a beautiful, big family! Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: Being a Seawolf means that I'm a part of something much bigger than myself and that I have a purpose and duty to my college community. 
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor