Can’t-Miss Classes at the Rec Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new semester, we’re all a bit lethargic after spending too much time eating and relaxing at home on the couch, and the last thing we want to do is work out. Maybe the thought of getting on a treadmill for 30 minutes or doing a full-body workout is too daunting right now. Maybe all we want to do is continue lying on our beds, taking naps and wishing for the semester to be over already.

Yet, despite how overwhelming it can all seem, there are ways to get active and enjoy this semester in a healthy manner. For one thing, if you’re not exactly gung-ho about working out on your own for an hour every single day, you can certainly find ways to stay active and healthy without going all out.

That’s where fitness classes offered by the Rec Center come in. With a schedule full of fun, interesting, and challenging classes, the rec center provides a wide array of (free!) options to students who are looking to get in better shape or to just have fun while getting their heart rate up. What’s great about them is that most classes are not commitment heavy— they’re held only once a week. You can simply show up to one, and if you don’t like it, try a different one!

Here are a few fitness classes that might be worth checking out.

Pink Gloves Boxing

If you’ve ever wanted to get into boxing (and even if you haven’t), you should definitely try out Pink Gloves Boxing. Registering for the class is a semester-long commitment, but you certainly won’t regret signing up. You learn how to wrap your hands with boxing wraps, practice a series of punches, and complete circuit training involving punching bags and cardio workouts. What’s more, you get to know your instructors—who are also students—and grow closer to the other people in your class.   

I took the class for one semester with a friend and it was tons of fun. Admittedly, I was a little hesitant and nervous at first because I had never boxed before, but now I can say that I genuinely enjoyed it and it allowed me to leap out of my comfort zone.

Rape Aggression Defense (RAD): Women’s Only Self-Defense

With this class, you can learn crucial skills for protecting yourself while also having a good time. It’s not a semester-long commitment, so you can go whenever you’d like, and in it you can learn a number of self-defense techniques (primarily ones that women can effectively use against men in dire situations). Also, be prepared to shout occasionally (ya’know, to practice using your voice as a weapon for a real-life situation).

Yoga

I haven’t been to many yoga classes, but I would definitely recommend them to those who might not be looking for a hardcore workout. The yoga classes at the rec are a great way to relax your mind and your body during a busy week, and no matter how flexible you are, you can explore the various ways your body is capable of bending and stretching.

A few other fitness classes that seem interesting and worthwhile (which I have yet to try) include Zumba, belly dancing, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and—for those looking for a challenge—High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

For a list of more fitness class options, check out the Stony Brook’s Campus Recreation page.

Kailey Walters

Stony Brook '19

I'm a simple girl. My idea of a good time is a quiet night with friends or curling up with a good book. Some of my other favorite things include running, swimming, people watching, and of course, writing what I know. Currently an English and Psychology double major with a Creative Writing minor, graduation bound in spring 2019!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor