6 Ways to Heal a Broken Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Let’s face it we all been through those times where a hole has been left inside of us. And the hole keeps feeding off of us each time the name, image, or memory of our your significant other pops up. We regret to even associate ourselves with the person. Those regrets build up and we transition into deep state depression. Once we’re sucked in, it takes a whole a lot of effort to get out. As college students, this cycle can disrupt our daily habits and healthy lifestyles even affect our academics. There is still hope to face pain and you don’t have to feel alone. Below are 6 ways to get you through the semester and supply you with the power you need to become stronger.

1. Say no to denial.Forget about staying in denial. You know you’re hurt and one way to transition out your painful state is to embrace it and accept it. This is very difficult to do, but once you find yourself accepting the pain, you’re closer to becoming stronger

2. Stay busy!

Keep yourself busy with a task or hobby, everything from crossfit training to cycling to a pottery class. Either do something that you always wanted to try or you love doing.  Keeping yourself occupied with a hobby helps you to focus your energy on something you love and keeps mind your off of what’s bothering you.

3. Stay active!

The more you exercise, the healthier you become. Start going to the gym more often you will see a drastic change in your attitude. The science shows that post workout you release endorphins; A brain neurotransmitter that keeps you in a state of  happiness.

4. Avoid being alone.

After getting out of a romantic relationship, the last thing you would want to do is be alone. Surround yourself with people, especially friends and family. Having that support system from your friends and family helps ease the pain. Depending on how severe your depression is, you might want to consult CAPS, Counseling and Prevention Services, here at Stony Brook.

5. Forgive and forget. Learn from your mistakes and don’t feel that you’re the one to blame. Give it some time to settle and get past the regret phase. We’re not perfect, but that’s what makes us unique and special. Think about yourself, overlook your ex’s flaws and focus on the good from your past relationship. Don’t hold grudges. Your ex taught you a valuable lesson; take it and move on.

6. Study hard. 

It’s essential to study for your classes and not fall behind. It is your choice that shapes your academic results. Get the right support system behind you to prevent your heart break from ruining your GPA. 

Name: Allaa SoltanAge: 24College Chapter: Stony Brook UniversityYear: SeniorMajor: Biology/NeuroscienceMinor: MusicHobbies: Yoga, Dancing, reading, and voluteeringTop Inspirational quote : you must be the change you want to see in the world                                                                                                      - Mahtama Ghandi If there were top three things I couldn't live without it definitely be my family, chocolate, and music. Those are three things that truly contribute to my life I love my family more than I love chocolate and music combined. Music is dominant factor that has shaped me in many ways growing up I've always been exposed to music and the arts. It has affected my attitude everday and made me a happier person. There is not a time where I need music, I call music my safe haven it keeps on my toes and sane when things get tough.   
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor