This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Whenever life becomes overwhelming I often isolate myself and get lost in my head. As a natural introvert, it can be difficult to connect with others during these times, not wanting to or knowing how to express my internal rollercoaster of emotions. And while I may not always confide in friends or family to get me through these situations, I always seem to turn to a select group of songs to guide me through whatever it is that’s troubling me. Lately I’ve been feeling stressed, burnt out, and unlike myself. If you can relate, let me share with you my playlist of songs that comfort my soul during the rough patches of life.

Vienna- Billy Joel (1977)

When I say this song is the closet thing to perfect ever created, I mean it. The comfort that this song brings me is unexplainable. Listening to “Vienna” feels like being wrapped up in a long, warm hug. Every time, without fail, it seems to convince me for a few minutes that everything will all be okay.

Just The Way You Are- Billy Joel (1977)

If it wasn’t already clear, Billy Joel is my unofficial therapist. This one is simply another great song by the man who single handedly keeps my mental health stable. I’m not sure what kind of black magic this guy was using in the 70s to make his music so powerful.

Rocketman- Elton John (1972)

There’s something about this song that makes me feel heard and understood when I’m otherwise lonely and disconnected. Despite “Rocketman” most likely being about drug addiction, the lyrics somehow feel relatable to being stuck in your head and completely unsure of what you’re doing with your life. The effects of this song are amplified times ten if you listen on a late night car ride.

My Sweet Lord- George Harrison (1970)

The slow, sweet sound of George Harrison’s voice over the soft guitar strums brings me so much peace.

Wouldn’t It Be Nice- The Beach Boys (1966)

Since I couldn’t list The Beach Boys’ entire discography, one song will have to do. “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” feels like glimpsing into your future to find out that everything will be more than okay someday. Picturing my ideal life playing out as planned as this plays in the background puts my mind at ease.

In My Life- The Beatles (1965)

Similarly to “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”, this song makes me visualize my future of being happy and in love with my soulmate. “In My Life” is the “everything happens for a reason” of songs.

American Pie- Don McLean (1971)

I can’t really explain it, but this song has such a strong hold on me. There’s no reason why it should be as comforting as it is to me, but it just is. “American Pie” makes me nostalgic for a decade I never lived through. Something about reliving the timeline of my favorite musical decade makes me feel comforted and reassured. Maybe I romanticize the 60’s too much…

With A Little Help From My Friends- The Beatles (1967)

The song title may seem ironic, considering I said I tend to isolate from my friends whenever I’m feeling overwhelmed, however, I wasn’t including John, Paul, Ringo, and George in that list of friends, duh.

Landslide- Fleetwood Mac (1975)

Everything about Stevie Nicks’ voice is so soothing, I truly believe this woman has the power to cure any problem in my life. “Landslide” is one of those songs that makes me reflect on and face my emotions, making them easier to process and move forward with.

I Will- The Beatles (1968)

Another Beatles love song that cheers me up right away. This song is so light and airy, listening to it makes me momentarily forget about all of the negative energy s urrounding me.

Beautiful Boy- John Lennon (1980)

This song embodies the feeling of laying in a field of flowers with the sun shining down on your face and the breeze blowing through your hair. It’s essentially 3 minutes of instant seratonin, which we’re all in need of.

Daydream Believer- The Monkees (1968)

This song just makes me happy. I associate “Daydream Believer” with one of the best times in my life (aka back when the only face masks I owned were for skincare purposes). While this song may not nessicarily be a comfort song for you, I recommend reflecting on a period of true happiness in your life and finding the songs you had on repeat during that time, you’d be surprised how powerful the feeling is.

If you prefer to listen to music from this decade, I apologize, this wasn’t the article for you.

Hi! I'm a Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor with a passion for writing and creating. I love all things health, wellness, music (especially Taylor Swift), and travel related!