Lindsey Grams ’17 Runs Half Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

Meet 21 year old, Lindsey Grams from Hammonton, New Jersey!

Lindsey is studying business with a concentration in marketing and is expected to graduate undergrad school in 2017 and grad school in 2018. Outside of the classroom, she’s a Social Media Coordinator for Love Your Melon, a great cause that provides hats to children battling pediatric cancer while supporting cure research, and serves as a co-Marketing & Publicity Director and manages the Pinterest account for Her Campus Stockton!

Grams at Her Conference this summer.

Off campus, Lindsey can be found partaking in her favorite hobbies which include: horseback riding, attending Philadelphia Flyers hockey games and traveling.

On September 18th, Lindsey ran her first half marathon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The race, Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, benefitted the American Association of Cancer Research. Even though she considers herself to be a pretty athletic person (having played sports her entire life, even holding a varsity spot on her high school’s tennis team all 4 years), Lindsey said, “running the half marathon was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I’m super happy I did it!”

While Lindsey’s athletic interests now include horseback riding lessons and going to the gym about 5-6 days out of the week, she would never consider herself a runner. In fact when one of her best friends and Summer gym-buddy, Andrea, initially asked her to join her in running the half marathon, she objected with “heck no, you’re insane! There’s no way I can run 13.1 miles!” After further convincing, Lindsey decided that it would be really cool to say she challenged herself to complete this marathon and joined Andrea.

In order to prepare for the marathon, Lindsey and Andrea began training in June – a whole 3 months before the race! Lindsey says this was the hardest part because the training included 2-3 short runs and 1 longer run each week. In the beginning, Lindsey adapted quickly, but once the runs gradually became longer, it grew to be a challenge and took a toll on her body – as well as her energy levels. 

On the day of the race, Lindsey found herself struggling to keep herself mentally focused. Physically, she felt totally capable of finishing the race, but after running for about an hour and a half Lindsey said she began thinking, “I’m exhausted. My body hurts. Why the heck am I still running?!” Even through the grueling last hour of the race, Lindsey remained determined to complete this challenge because it was for a great cause.  

After graduating this Spring with a B.S. in Business, Lindsey plans to continue her studies at Stockton and obtain her M.B.A. in grad school. One day she hopes to land her dream job in sports marketing. Go girl!

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University