StO-Style: Meet a Fashionable Ole, Francesca Crutchfield-Stoker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This week I was itching to feature another Fashionable Ole on Sto-Style, but there are so many chic people here at St. Olaf that I was stumped on who to ask!

Luckily for me, I didn’t have to search far – Eden Ehm nominated fellow orchestra member Francesca Crutchfield-Stoker to be this week’s Fashionable Ole. “I nominated Francesca because I love her style,” Eden said. “She effortlessly combines her beautiful and unique clothing and accessories for a cool worldly-folksy vibe. She’s my stand partner in Ole Orch and I love seeing what she wears every day!”

Read on for Francesca’s thoughts on style and fashion!

Style Profile: Francesca Crutchfield-Stoker

Age: 18
School year: Freshman
Hometown: Santa Fe, NM and Iowa City, IA
Majors and Concentrations: Undecided, thinking Spanish, English, Latin American Studies concentration/Education concentration

Interests and Hobbies: Reading, writing poetry, playing the violin in the St. Olaf Orchestra, Norwegian fiddle, volunteering with ROG mentoring group, and helping out in an English class at Northfield High School.

How would you describe your sense of style? Rather quirky, matching things which would normally not be thought of as going together. Fun and vintage.

Where do you get your style inspiration from? I think I first started being interested in fashion, and making fun outfits when I traveled to Europe for the first time and got so many great ideas. I especially get inspiration from looking at what things go together, and how I could make a really cool outfit with things I already had. I definitely get inspiration from my friends, and also from seeing what my mom and grandma wear, and wore. I think it’s cool to take ideas not only from modern fashion, but from old vintage fashion as well.

What influences what you choose to wear each day? I definitely have those days where all you can wear are those comfortable leggings and a giant sweatshirt, but some days what you wear really puts you in a good mood, or makes you feel ready to conquer the day. I like picking out one item of clothing, and then looking through my closet to see what I could put with it. It’s fun to get new items of clothing and figure out what new combinations you can make.

Where do you like to shop? I love finding things at Goodwill and other unique thrift shops to match with other everyday items. My favorite stores to look in for ideas are H&M, Zara, Urban Outfitters, and Heritage.

What are your favorite trends right now? Big, comfy sweaters are the best, and can so easily be classed up with a cool scarf or awesome leggings with boots. I also don’t think you can ever go wrong with layering; you can make so many different outfits with just a few layers. Sorrell boots are also the best. I think they’re cute, and you can run through the snow without a worry in the world.

What is your favorite item in your closet and why? My favorite item in my closet is probably my pair of brown cowboy boots. They were my grandmothers’ and my mom wore them when she was in college. Some days, the cowboy boots just give me that little push of confidence that I need to get through the day.

If you could raid anyone’s closet, who would it be and why? Probably my mom’s. Almost all of my favorite items of clothing come from my mom’s closet, and I love mixing and matching older looking things with new and exciting modern things.

What is one item you think is a fashion essential that every girl should have in her closet? I would have to say a pair of boots that you absolutely love. Boots can be fancy, casual, comfy and any number of things. They are so versatile when it comes to making outfits, and so much fun to wear.

What advice would you give to fellow Oles looking to develop their own sense of style? I would just say don’t ever worry about what people will think of you. If you like how something looks or if it is just the most comfortable flannel shirt you have ever worn, don’t worry if it is an XXL or has a rather hideous color scheme. Be confident in whatever you wear, and know that what you wear doesn’t determine who you are, but remember that there is no harm in letting your sense of style bring out your fun and unique side. Try matching uncommon things together, and never be afraid to let your true self out with your sense of style!

Thanks so much Francesca!

Know a fashionable Ole? Nominate them with a comment below.
Check out past Fashionable Ole profiles here and here.

Be inspired and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.