StO-Style: Meet a Fashionable Ole, Taisa Kushner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

My style profile on first-year Ola Faleti was such a hit that I decided to do another “Meet a Fashionable Ole!” This week’s profile is on sophomore Taisa Kushner.

Taisa was nominated by her roommate Jessica Moes, who wrote this about her fashionable roommate: “Tai has a crazy awesome sense of style. I joke that she never, ever wears sweatshirts (She claims she does… but I’ve seen her one sweatshirt, and it’s actually adorable and nothing close to schlummy). Watching her get ready in the morning is a treat, as she tries on a few different outfits, making sure her accessories are always just right. She knows quality, and takes really good care of the beautiful pieces in her wardrobe. She has some GREAT shoes. Taisa’s also not afraid to take risks, and dyed her hair red this year to prove just that. I’ve been with her when she gets stopped on the street, and people rant and rave about her hair. She happens to be the nicest person I know, and, even when she’s grumpy, manages to bring sunshine with her wherever she goes. Not only is Taisa a fashionable Ole, she is a FABULOUS Ole, and deserves the recognition as such.”

Read on for more about Taisa and her fashion philosophy!

Style Profile: Taisa Kushner
Age: 20
School Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Plymouth, MN
Majors: Mathematics and Environmental Studies

Interests and Hobbies: I run track and cross country for Olaf. I am very into art, ceramics in particular, and birthday cards – I like making birthday cards. I also enjoy anything involving the outdoors – namely nordic skiing, climbing, water, snow and rocks.

How would you describe your sense of style? Perhaps colorful. I enjoy the unexpected, especially for jewelry. I love obnoxious accessories: anything involving animals, neon, shiny things that sparkle. Sometimes I think I have the interests of a five-year-old.

Where do you get your style inspiration from? I like things that make me happy: bright colors, animal prints, fabrics that look intriguing to touch. I see my wardrobe as another outlet for creativity. I think on a given day at least one item is handmade, painted or altered.

What influences what you choose to wear each day? 80% of the time, the weather. Otherwise, some random item, usually earrings or shoes.

Where do you like to shop? Hands down, J. Crew and Anthropologie. Although I am a big fan of all things vintage, men’s clothing, and items found in the depths of my mother’s closet.

What are your favorite trends right now? I am glad to see the general public approving of brightly colored pants; blue denim is rather mundane. Also, anything with a cutout back. That sounds a little odd, not things that are missing fabric but just small details – they are intriguing.

What is your favorite item in your closet and why? Oh gosh, I am possibly the least decisive human being so this will probably change within the next hour. At the moment, I have this red-orange shirt with brightly colored elephants all over it. It also has buttons down the back. I like that one. Oh, and I have recently acquired these floral-printed jeans that I think are fantastic.

If you could raid anyone’s closet, who would it be and why? Katy Perry, very practical.

What is one item you think is a fashion essential, that every girl should have in her closet? The Jackie Cardigan (J.Crew). Also, a ridiculous pair of shoes.

What advice would you give to fellow Oles looking to develop their style? Wear what you like.

Thanks so much Taisa!
Be inspired and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com