9 Reasons Why You Should Go to the Natural Lands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

With the leaves on the trees coming back, the flowers near Boe Chapel blossoming, and the grass in the quad becoming greener everyday, we are sure in for a beautiful spring on the Hill. However, the coming of spring also marks an increase in the intensity of class work. So, what better way to destress and relax than to take a walk around the Natural Lands. In no particular order, here are 9 reasons why you should explore the Natural Lands! 

1.) It’s a great place to take a study break 

Sometimes, the only solution to us getting any work done is locking ourselves in Rølvaag or our rooms for the day. However, while this is all good and well, it’s also good to take a break every few hours to recharge. And a stroll through the prairie is the perfect place to do so! 

2.) It’s gorgeous, especially in the mornings and at sunset 

The Natural Lands consists of restored prairie, existing and resorted forest, wetlands, and ponds. One of my favorite spots are the benches around Big Pond. And on sunny days, when the sun hits Big Pond at the right angle, it looks like the water is sparkling. 

3.) A Quick and Easy Way to get “Off Campus” 

While the Natural Lands is technically still campus, it sure doesn’t feel like it. While I love St. Olaf, sometimes there are days when I just want to get off campus. And whenever I go to the Natural Lands, I feel like I’m far from campus. 

4.) There’s Wildlife

The last time I was out in the Natural Lands, I spotted a deer, ducks, a variety of birds and geese. As someone who is from a more urban area, seeing animals in their natural habitat like this is rare. So, if you’re looking to see some wildlife, the Natural Lands are definitely for you. 

5.) Gives you an escape 

Taking a walk around the Natural Lands is the perfect way to get some fresh air, get out of your room, and unplug. Escape the academic grind, the grid, societal expectations, and stresses of college life. 

6.) Excellent place for photography 

Getting a picture of the sunset reflecting on Big Pond with the windmill in the background is definitely a picture that will make your high school friends wish they went here. With the wildlife, flowers, and plants galore, the Natural Lands would make a great backdrop for a photo shoot. 

7.) Any runners here? 

The Natural Lands has many trails, both long and short. These trails are well marked and easy to navigate. Running in here is also a great way to get a good workout and take a break from the treadmill/indoor track in Skoglund, especially as the weather gets nicer. The longest trail is the Prarie Loop (1.1 mi). Some of the shorter ones include Windmill Trail (0.6 mi), Ellingson Woods Trail (0.4 mi), and Knoll Loop (0.3 mi). 

8.) A fun place to hang out with friends

Being in the Natural Lands is pretty much a guarantee that you will have a great time. It is a great place to talk, laugh, and just be together. 

9.) Makes you live in the moment 

Being unplugged and surrounded by nature, I believe, makes us live in the moment. It allows us to escape the bustle and distractions of everyday life, and just slow down. The Natural Lands is one of the most beautiful places at St. Olaf and is the perfect place for collecting your thoughts, reflection, and realizing what really matters. 

Where are the Natural Lands located? 

They are located behind Skoglund near the windmill. If you walk past the parking lot behind Skoglund towards the windmill, you will see a dirt trail that starts to lead to a large pond and into a wooded area. 

All photos courtesy of Grace Reynders