What All College Women Should Know About Vaginal Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

This week I talked to my dad, Urogynecologist Paul Tulikangas, M.D, to answer some important questions on the topic of women’s health. As a professional in the field of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Dr. Tulikangas was able to share some important insight on what to look out for (and how to handle) vaginal discomfort, which unfortunately, is something that we will all face at some point throughout college and early adult years!

First of all, what is a Urogynecologist? These doctors are specialists that treat conditions that affect the female pelvic organs (the vagina, labia, uterus, and bladder) and the muscles and connective tissue that support the organs (Voices for PFD.com).

What are common gynecologic health issues women ages 17-22 should be aware of?

Dr. Tulikangas: Some common gynecologic conditions that young women may encounter include vaginitis and urinary tract infections. Vaginitis is an irritation of the vaginal tissue and it will occur in up to 1/3 of all women. It is caused by a change in the balance of yeast and bacteria that normally live “down there.” Causes include use of antibiotics, douching, sexual activity, or infection, and symptoms are usually a white or bad smelling discharge. It can be diagnosed by the healthcare professionals at your campus student health center and is usually treated with a vaginal cream or a pill.

More than half of women will have at least one urinary tract infection at some point. They are not sexually transmitted, however they are more common after sexual activity. They usually cause symptoms of burning with urination and urinary frequency. They can also be treated by the professionals in the student health center.

It is important that symptoms of vaginitis and urinary tract infections be evaluated in a timely manner, because they can also be symptoms of other problems such as sexually transmitted infections. The best way to prevent sexually transmitted infections is to use a male or female condom during intercourse EVEN IF a partner(s) is using another form of birth control, since IUDs and birth control pills do not prevent sexually transmitted diseases.

What resources should women in the age range 17-22 use to maintain their personal health?

Dr. Tulikangas: In gynecologic care, we say that as long as you feel healthy and aren’t experiencing any discomfort, no extra maintenance is necessary. A healthy diet and regular sleep pattern are the most essential aspects to maintaining overall personal health. Vaginal sprays are intended for vaginal odors, however covering these odors runs the risk of undiagnosed vaginitis that may require medical treatment. In addition, vaginal tissue is very delicate and sprays may irritate the labial tissue down there. The same goes for vaginal wipes and douches, which can also be a source of irritation, so be sure to use these products sparingly and stop use if any discomfort occurs!

Are there some treatments that women can do without going to the student health center?

Dr. Tulikangas: Vaginal irritation is common since that is such a sensitive area. For mild irritation, remove chemicals, perfumes, and irritants from the area and halt any further use until the irritation ceases.

White vaginal discharge is often a sign of a yeast infection. If you have had this before, you may consider treating this with a topical cream available over the counter, however, if the infection is more serious (i.e more painful, stronger odor), that is a sign you should speak to a health professional directly.

Mild discomfort and burning with urination is common after sexual activity. Over the counter treatments such as Phenazopyridine may be helpful for short-term urinary irritation, but once again, symptoms lasting more than 48 hours should be evaluated by a health professional.  

Dr. Tulikangas’ Final Thoughts: “I had a mentor in medical school that used to say, “The vagina is a self-cleaning oven.” Who wants to put in the extra work of maintaining the equipment if it is designed to be self-sufficient? Just make sure that you are focusing on your overall health, and everything “down there” should be in tip-top shape!

(Photos: Christine Tulikangas)