This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Before an incoming student starts college, one of the first things they worry about is the “Freshman 15.” The freshman 15 can be scary to many because it is hard not to put on weight in college, given all the unhealthy food options there are. However, it is very easy to avoid eating those unhealthy foods, which can keep off this extra unwanted weight!

1.)   Eat More Grilled Chicken: Despite the beliefs that the grilled chicken is dry and that it’s better to stay clear from, grilled chicken is very healthy as it contains protein and no unnecessary fat. Unlike most chicken served at Dana, such as Chicken Parmesan or Chicken Cordon Bleu, grilled chicken is not fried and therefore, not dipped into butter.

2.)   Eat at Dana more than the Pub: While the pub may have some delicious food choices, such as a Dr. Feel Good or the Quesadilla Station, most food at the Pub is fried. While some of the food at Dana may be fried as well, there are more healthy options there, such as the salad bar and sandwich station. Dana offers many more healthy menus on a daily basis.

3.)   Don’t be afraid to try new things: Eating the same thing every night is unhealthy, no matter what the food is. Trying different foods and not eating the same food all the time not only allows you to expand your taste buds, but will give you a chance to learn about healthy foods that taste delicious.

4.)   Make sure you have a filling meal: No matter what meal you eat, you should always make sure that your plate is full and contains, protein, vegetables and a starch. Having these three things on your plate will allow you to eat a meal that’s not only healthy but also filling. Eating a full meal also won’t make you hungry in the middle of the day.

Eating nutritiously in college can be a challenge, given all the food choices that you are exposed to. However, if you truly make an effort to eat healthy and stay active, then the freshman 15 may not be as much of a threat as you think.