Anna Soderberg ’20: Yoga Instructor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Her Campus St Law U is very excited to offer a FREE Study Break Yoga Class on Friday, December 15 at 5 p.m, taught by Anna Soderberg ’20! Look out for more info for the event on Facebook. In the meantime, check out our interview with Anna to get to know her better before the class. 

Q: How did you initially get started with yoga?

Anna: I started doing yoga at a very young age. I would go with my mom to classes every chance I could. I had no idea of its positive impacts at the time, but I was a dancer, so I loved the movement and element of stretching.

Q: What is your favorite kind of yoga?

Anna: I teach restorative yoga here on campus because it is a slow, relaxing session of holding and feeling heat within your muscles. It can be done at any level of experience within a yogi’s practice, and it can easily be substituted or shortened for those who need it!

Q: What do you have to do to become a yoga instructor?

Anna: I really didn’t expect to teach yoga classes on campus, however, I’ve been extremely pleased and blessed to be a part of the SLU Yoga Club! I just communicate with my fellow teachers in order to gain a space and time to teach my practice. I am not currently a certified yoga instructor, but I hope to pursue the physical certification this upcoming summer or within the next few years.

Q: How does yoga help you deal with stress and stay centered?

Anna: Yoga has not only been a stress reliever for me personally, but it has also been a healer as well. I use yoga to remain grounded and centered throughout daily life. If you find yourself ungrounded within your mental and physical health, it creates a fragile and unstable atmosphere for growth and mindfulness. Yoga can help!

Q: Tell us a bit about the class you’ll be teaching during finals week!

Anna: I will be incorporating stress relieving poses throughout Friday’s practice and I will also incorporate concepts of mindfulness and self reflection, which is highly important and essential throughout this busy time in the semester.

Q: Do you have a regular class schedule? What do you have to do in order to participate?

Anna: This semester I taught mostly Tuesday nights and Friday afternoons. I hope to teach 3 days a week this coming spring semester 2018. All poses can be modified or skipped depending on how a person is feeling about their body and abilities that day. I ask people to be present and mindful throughout their practice in order to connect mentally and spiritually with themselves and each other.

Photos: Anna Soderberg