Wellness > Mental Health

The Importance of Men’s Mental Health and How We Can Support the Men in Our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Last month, November, was Men’s Health Awareness Month. The entire month of November is dedicated to men’s health, whether that be mental or physical, and spreading awareness of these issues that are important year round.

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), males accounted for 69.38% of suicide deaths in 2019. In the same year, men died by suicide almost 4 times as often as women. Middle-aged white men have the highest rate of suicide. Mental Health America states some facts about men’s mental health: Out of almost 152 million men in the United States, 6 million are affected by depression every year. Depression in men frequently goes undiagnosed, where men record symptoms of fatigue and irritability. Millions of men also suffer from anxiety disorders, eating disorders, and other mental illnesses. These diseases also readily go undiagnosed due to the stigma of men’s mental health. Our society condemns men who express their feelings and those who admit they need help. Because of this, men are less likely to seek professional opinions than women.

In order to break the stigma, many male celebrities and public figures began opening up about their own struggles with mental health, in hopes of starting a worldwide conversation. Actor and wrestler Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson opened up about his struggles: “I found that with depression one of the most important things you could realize is that you’re not alone. You’re not the first to go through it… I wish I had someone at that time who could just pull me aside and [say], ‘Hey, it’s going to be okay.’” Rapper Kid Cudi speaks of his depression on many tracks of his Man on the Moon project. On June 8, 2021, he made an Instagram post saying, “Sadness eats away at me sometimes. How do I deal?… Truthfully, idk. Some days are great, others not so great. I just try to believe God has something better for me. I try to have faith in the light. Please, believe.”

How can we support the men in our lives? Talk to them. Let them know you are an outlet for them, and that you will support them with any problem that arises. Reach out to someone. If a man in your life is struggling or not, send a text or call them to check in. You never know what someone is battling, and that text could have saved their life. Reassure them. Tell a man in your life that it is okay to ask for help, and that they are not alone. If they need assistance finding the proper resources, aid them in finding a therapist, or even a support group.

Breaking the stigma of men’s mental health is so important. Men should not fear expressing their feelings or asking for help. These things do not make a man any less. It is extremely hard to bottle up feelings and emotions, and if untreated, it can be fatal. Check in on a man in your life, and open up the conversation of mental health. One little conversation can save a life.

If you are in crisis, call 800-273-8255, text HOME to 741741, or contact a medical professional for help.

Olivia Seaman

St. John's '25

Olivia is a first year Journalism and Film Studies student from PA with a passion for women's rights and pop culture. She hopes to change the world one article at a time!