Wellness > Mental Health

Seasonal Depression (Let’s Talk About It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The term, “seasonal depression”, is constantly thrown around and mentioned in conversation, but what is it really? Seasonal depression, which is also referred to as seasonal affective disorder, is a form of depression that occurs during the changing of seasons. It usually begins in late fall and ends at the beginning of spring. This is mainly due to the lack of sunlight and cold weather during the fall and winter months. Seasonal Depression differs from other forms of depression as it is only present during this specific part of the year. However, some can still experience this form of depression throughout the spring and summer as well. It is a completely normal thing to have and those who have it shouldn’t feel ashamed.

Here are some symptoms of seasonal depression:

• Constantly feeling depressed
  • Losing interest in your usual hobbies
  • Problems with sleeping- oversleeping or trouble sleeping
  • Changes in appetite and weight
  • Difficulties concentrating
  • Lack of energy
  • Feeling hopeless
  • Suicidal thoughts

(Mayo Clinic Staff, 2017)

These symptoms usually begin to arise during this time of year. If you experience these symptoms or think you could possibly be experiencing seasonal depression, it is important that you do something about it. Whether it be talking to a close friend, or making an appointment to see a professional, it is better to confide in someone and seek help. You can also be proactive and plan activities during these months to keep you outside of your house and with others. You can make plans with friends, work out, go on runs or walks, explore new places, or learn a new hobby. All of these things can help prevent seasonal depression and better your well being overall! Society needs to continue to normalize conversations on mental health and depression. If we continue to talk about it, people will come forward and seek help, rather than feel trapped and alone. 

If you are struggling with your own mental health battle right now, please remember these words :)

“I found that with depression, one of the most important things you could realize is that you’re not alone.”- Dwayne Johnson

“I have depression. But I prefer to say, ‘I battle’ depression instead of ‘I suffer’ with it. Because depression hits, but I hit back. Battle on.” – Anonymous

“Depression, suffering and anger are all part of being human.” – Janet Fitch

(101 Quotes About Depression to Help You Not Feel So Alone in Your Struggle, 2021)

References

1. Mayo Clinic Staff. (2017, October 25). Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Mayo Clinic. Retrieved October 27, 2021, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651.  
  1. Parade. (2021, June 29). 101 quotes about depression to help you not feel so alone in your struggle. Parade. Retrieved October 27, 2021, from https://parade.com/946073/parade/depression-quotes/

Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)