This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Sleep makes life every day a little bit easier, but what if you are struggling with your sleep schedule? Being a stressed college student who doesn’t sleep that much, melatonin gummies are my best friend, but it’s not healthy to take them every night. 

Here are some tips for better sleep to follow in or out of the college campus: 

1. Avoid caffeine at night, and limit it dramatically during the day. 

2. Create a sleep schedule and stick to it. 

3. Don’t sleep in on weekends or days you have a late class, wake up close to the same time every day. 

4. Put books and homework away 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime. 

5. Limit light like computers and cell phones 45 minutes before you go to bed 

6. Don’t study or work on your computer in bed. 

7. Exercise earlier in the day, not before bed. 

8. Don’t watch TV just before bed. 

9. Sleep with earplugs or use a pillow to drown out the bright lights and the noise of loud roommates, suitemates, or siblings. 

But with the growing anxiety COVID-19 causes, some of these ways will not work. Here are some to battle anxiety: 

1. Limit media consumption 

2. Pause the negativity when and where you can 

3. Maintain a regular bedtime and wake time 

4. Seek natural light to help wake you up 

5. Adopt relaxation techniques 

6. Turn off screens 

7. Move more 

8. Use your bed only for sleep 

Alongside these methods, I have realized that taking vitamins can help you as well. My personal favorite has been the Persona Vitamins. It makes you take a test about what your needs are, and since I’ve always had problems with sleep, it has helped me find three different vitamins to take throughout the day to help me to get better sleep.   

I hope these methods help some of you to get your sleep schedule back on track. 

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.