This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As the long summer days come to an end, it is now time for chilly mornings, sunsets before 5 p.m., and for most people, seasonal depression may be setting in. So, how do people deal with it? I will be sharing the methods that have worked for me while also creating a guide to help you cope, too! 

Self-Care 

In the midst of midterm season, feeling overwhelmed with school, work or any other factors can be an easy trap to fall into. Self-care sounds like a no-brainer, but it’s not always easy for college students with hectic schedules. Blocking out at least 30 minutes to an hour for one day each week gives way to taking a moment to address your needs. Self-care can include a multitude of activities, it doesn’t always have to resemble those extravagant, self-care spa nights we see online. Self-care can range from reading a book, meditating, painting your nails, hanging out with friends or playing with your pets! Self-care simply means that you are taking time to ground yourself. 

Planning 

Completing coursework may seem counterintuitive when trying to overcome seasonal depression. However, planning a schedule that works for you is essential and allows more free time to do what makes you happy. If you don’t own one already, I highly recommend purchasing a planner whether it be digital or physical. Personally, I use a digital one that’s paired with my iPad and Google Calendar. My digital planner lays out everything I need to complete and helps prioritize which tasks need to be accomplished. 

Sunlight Simulation 

The lack of sunlight is a large part of why people feel depressed during the dark winter months. Currently, we are in the early stages of the fall season, meaning that we’re still able to get some sunshine. So, take advantage of the sunlight and take a hot girl walk, read outside or simply get as much fresh air as possible. Once we get deeper into the winter season spending time outside is much more difficult, and purchasing a sunlight lamp can be a great way to combat the darkness. Sunlight lamps may not embody the feeling of actual sun rays, but they simulate sunlight and increase serotonin levels. If you feel that the lack of sunlight heavily affects your seasonal depression, then the sunlight lamp is a product you should check out! 

Love Yourself and Lean On Your Friends

Feelings of loneliness are common with the vast relationship content posted on social media during the colder months, especially when you don’t have a significant other. However, we must realize that not everyone’s timeline looks the same. Even if you don’t have a partner this “cuffing season”, you certainly have friends you can lean on. The friendships you build can last a lifetime, so nurture them. Find time to have movie marathons, go to a pumpkin patch or throw a themed drink night party with those you love. Just because you are not in a relationship does not mean you are alone. 

Use this guide whenever you need to create new routines or plan exciting activities this season so that you can encounter seasonal depression with a brave face. 

Kaila Lightburn

St. John's '24

Hello my name is Kaila, I’m a Junior at St. John’s University. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in fashion studies. I am also an ambassador, a mentor and apart of the campus magazine and some of my hobbies include watching movies, hanging with friends and reading!