This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Dear Freshman Taylor, 

If you’re reading this, it means that you made it! You made it through 4 (or 3 1/2 for you;) of the craziest, most chaotic, and equally memorable years of your life. You’re done with your undergraduate career, congrats! And most importantly I’m here to tell you, you’re going to be okay. 

I don’t know exactly what you’re doing right now, but if I had to guess, maybe you just got back from the diner or Monty’s where you spent like 3 hours with your roommates talking over fries and late-night milkshakes. Maybe you’re getting ready to go out; another night when you don’t get home until 4 am on the subway. Maybe you’re sitting in your room stressed out about how you’re going to tell your parents about the tattoo you secretly got (don’t worry you’re going to get plentyyy more). Maybe you’re a little sad right now because you’re missing home, your family, and your best friend. Whatever it is that you’re doing I want you to read this letter very very carefully: 

The next 3-4 years of your life are going to be the most important and life-changing that you’ve experienced yet. They’re going to shape you into who you are and show you exactly who you are not. I know right now you’re struggling to pick a career. You’re caught between pursuing something that your heart is not all the way in and choosing something completely different that you know nothing about. One thing that I can tell you is that no one can make that decision but you. You know what’s best for you even if you don’t know what “best” is yet.  

Another thing that I can tell you is that your mental health is crucial. Learn to love yourself, learn to be by yourself, and enjoy it. Learn to depend on yourself for your happiness. Learn to give yourself grace. And most importantly, focus on your relationship with God. Pray, pray, and pray some more. You have no idea how much it’s going to get you through.  

Keep your grades up! I know not everything comes easy for you but every single class you take matters. You’re going to apply to some incredible and competitive universities for graduate school and you don’t need to close any doors you don’t have to.  

I also want to tell you this: Don’t rush this season. I know things may seem hard right now and everything seems to be a bit fuzzy at the moment, but if you could see the things you’re going to do! I promise you that it’s all worth it.  

Lastly, find your people. Every single person is in your life for a reason. Cherish them. Tell them you love them (often). College won’t last forever and one day you all aren’t going to live in the same suite or in the same building, or even in the same state! This is such a special time, don’t waste it wishing it away. 

I’m writing this to you a day after I finished the last of our undergraduate classes. Next month, your degree will be conferred, and you’ll officially be a college graduate. In about 5 months, you’ll march across the stage and formally graduate. You’ll see the same people you saw on move-in day, just this time 4 years older and with a cap and gown. Then, a few months later you’ll move out of your childhood home and start graduate school and your career. 

Taylor, I cannot stress this enough: ENJOY WHERE YOU ARE. This time is going to absolutely fly. Spend the weekend with your friends, talk with your professors, cherish your mentors and advisors and listen to them! They know what they are talking about. When you get to the right stage, BE a mentor. Join the club! Her Campus specifically will teach you so much and you’ll make the most amazing connections through it. Believe it or not in a few years, you’re going to be the Vice President and editor-in-chief. 

I hope you love where you are right now. I hope you cherish every single moment big and small in your heart. I hope you don’t take anything for granted and make the best of it. I promise you that you’ll wish you did. 

I know that right now you think by the time you graduate you’ll have all the answers. Well, you don’t. Not even close actually. You’ll still make mistakes and life is still very much a learning process. The difference is, you’ll realize that you don’t have to know everything. Keep God first, surround yourself with people who love you, and be patient with yourself. That’s the best that anyone can do. 

We’re going to be alright; I’ll see you on the other side girl:) 

Love, 

You 

Taylor is a Senior English major at St. John's University. After college, she plans on pursuing graduate school and a career in Higher Education Administration.