Wellness

3 Perks of Meditating That You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

I’ll be completely honest. The first time I tried meditating in high school, immediately off the bat I thought it wasn’t for me. The idea of simply just sitting still and letting your mind focus on absolutely nothing seemed like a waste of time, especially for someone like me who preferred to be constantly active. Now, as a college student, there are moments where the overwhelming stress of academia makes me feel as if I’m drowning. It’s times like these that I look for an anchor that can help me center myself while keeping me afloat. That anchor has come to me in the form of meditating. Although I have just started, I can already see the difference mediation is making in my life. Here are the three ways meditation has helped me and can maybe assist you as well! 

A Chance to Refocus 

There are many instances where I feel like not doing work, and I find myself binge watching my favorite T.V. series or scrolling through Instagram posts just to pass the time. Meditation has helped me refocus on the task at hand and helps me pay attention for longer periods of time, which is great since it makes me feel more productive and gives me the initiative I need to get work done. It also gives me a slight energy boost, since my mind is empty of all the previous thoughts and concerns loitering in my head rent free. 

The Good Nights Sleep You Always Crave 

I always find myself having trouble when it’s time to go to bed. Sometimes it is due to my mind being in overdrive, constantly thinking about the day’s events or planning my day for tomorrow. Often, it’s because of my inconsistent sleeping schedule. Meditation helps me fall asleep faster and helps my body feel more refreshed and rested in the morning. Meditation can possibly help you to feel more satisfied with the quality of your sleep.  

Less Stress and Anxiety 

Whenever I’m stressed or anxious about my impending workload for the day, I turn to meditation to help me calm down and relax. In that short period of time of simply sitting down and thinking of nothing, it helps my body and mind take a break. It also helps my mind to slow down and concentrate on the present, thus dispelling me of my worries pertaining to the future. It also helps me feel more connected to my emotions and understand why I am feeling the way I am.    

If you’re a beginner to meditation, I suggest taking baby steps to try out meditation, then slowly building your way up. Apps that can be helpful for the start of your meditation journey include Calm and HeadSpace. If apps aren’t your thing, then YouTube videos are a great resource.

Sharupa Azmal

St. John's '24

Sharupa Azmal is a junior who is majoring in Pharmacy at St. John’s University. Besides writing for Her Campus, she finds herself journaling or blogging frequently. Her other pastimes include reading books and webtoons, watching movies (yes Bollywood films are included), and dragging her friends on little trips throughout New York City.