Wellness > Health

Five Ways To Make Exercise More Enjoyable – And Why That’s So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

I think we can all agree that we are well and truly into springtime now – and for fitness goals this is often a strange limbo period. People who made new year’s resolutions may find their motivation fading while those beginning to feel the pressure to get “summer ready” might consider heading to the gym. 

Before anything else, I’d recommend to anyone that they seriously reflect on why they’re exercising, because – as I have written about previously – a relationship with exercise can quickly turn toxic. Some common intentions behind exercising (particularly for women) can be unsustainable and possibly damaging. Nevertheless, exercise can also be a powerful tool in boosting mood, self-esteem and, of course, overall fitness. What I’ve found on my own fitness journey is that when you make exercise something that is enjoyable, and even something to look forward to, you are far more likely to stay committed and the benefits you’ll reap are more likely to be healthy and empowering. 

Here are five tips that you can implement to your exercise routine to make it more enjoyable: 

1. Build yourself the ultimate workout playlist 

While I know not everyone listens to music when they work out, I personally find that when I’m feeling particularly unmotivated at the thought of exercising, blasting some good music through my headphones always helps. And the best thing about a workout playlist is that there’s no rules. You want to listen to the entire soundtrack of Hamilton on the treadmill? Go for it! If there is just one song that gets you going on leg day, then listen to it on repeat. Whatever works and gets you moving – that’s what you should be listening to.

2. Wear what makes you feel good 

Now, I don’t know about everyone, but I certainly find that an outfit can change my whole mood. If I’m skulking around my flat in my joggers and a hoodie, I’m inevitably going to start feeling lethargic – or simply too cosy to want to move. But as soon as I put on my gym wear and tie my hair back, I feel like a new woman. An important thing to remember here is that what feels good is what feels good to you. The worst thing you can do is wear something you feel uncomfortable or insecure about to exercise. So, whether it’s sweats or leggings, what you wear should encourage you to feel confident and comfortable when working out. 

3. Try different forms of exercise 

I’m a runner and so often I’m told by people that they are ‘bad at exercise’ because they can’t run a 5k – which I always find to be a slightly crazy conclusion to jump to. The fact is that there are so many different ways to move your body. Okay, so you may not be a great long-distance runner. But that doesn’t mean that you might not be good at weightlifting! Or just because you don’t enjoy lifting weights doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy Zumba or Barre or Boxing (just [insert sport of your choice here]). Also, trying out new things is good for your own fitness and a way to challenge your body – it’s good for people who are comfortable with running to try weightlifting or for people who usually lift weights to go for a swim. And who knows? You may accidentally stumble across a new favourite sport. 

4. Only do it if you feel like you’re prepared 

By this I don’t just mean that you should plan your workout or have a schedule in mind, because that certainly isn’t necessary to make exercise enjoyable. On the contrary, what I mean is that you should only exercise if you feel that you are in the right mental space to do so. If you are feeling mentally drained or stressed, sometimes exercise can help, but can also make you feel worse. Another thing to keep in mind is whether you feel you have fuelled up enough to be able to exercise and that your body is not too tired/at risk of injury. Skipping a workout because you don’t feel like it on the day is sometimes the best thing you can do. 

5. Make it social 

I used to be convinced that I could only run by myself – the thought of running in groups seemed unenjoyable and even stressful. However, since coming to university I’ve really begun to see the benefits to playing sports, something that’s a social activity, rather than just a way to get fit. When it’s an opportunity to spend time with friends and catch up, exercise can become a lot more enjoyable. You can also hold yourself more accountable and not only see yourself improve but also watch your friends as they improve as well. 

Essentially, the main message is that when you make exercise enjoyable it can become a sustainable part of your lifestyle rather than a source of stress or anxiety or even just another thing to tick off your list of chores. When exercise is fun rather than a burden, it can even become something you look forward to. So, regardless of whether you’re the fastest or fittest – if you’re enjoying yourself, doing it for the right reasons and staying consistent then you are exercising in a healthy way.

Josie Smith

St. Andrews '24

Josie is a fourth year studying philosophy. She is particularly interested in writing about health and well-being topics as well as the unique financial and business issues that women face. Josie feels so excited and grateful to be a part of an editorial that focuses on amplifying and empowering women’s voices.