Wellness

Five Red Flags that your Relationship with Exercise has Become Toxic – And What to do Next

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Ah, spring is in the air, the weather is (hopefully!) starting to get warmer, and the end of the semester finally feels within reach. However, the pressures on women as real as ever, as we are currently in the strange spot between the lingering ‘new year, new me’ mindset and the upcoming ‘summer body goals’. This causes – even without taking in consideration Lent – the guilt that might come from treating yourself to one or five chocolate eggs at Easter, as well as from the inescapable body and beauty standards that women face no matter the time of year. Even without all this, you may just feel empowered or inspired to start hitting the gym or trying a new sport. While exercising is good for both the body and the mind, when always present pressures are added into the mix , it can be deceptively easy to fall into bad workout patterns.

Speaking from experience, I’ve found that what initially begins with the best intentions can quickly slide into detrimental behaviour patterns that do far more harm than good. And a change as such can usually be intuitively recognised. I would like to distinguish here between two types of pain: ‘good’ pain (e.g., when you are on your last mile of a run or the last few reps of squats and your body is hurting, but in a way that it can cope with and grow stronger from) and ‘bad’ pain (e.g., you pulled a muscle, or you feel faint or dizzy), which is your body telling you that something is WRONG. The issue is that simply stopping when you feel the ‘bad’ pain doesn’t solve the deeper problem – and it’s not a good idea to wait for an injury or burnout to realise that the way you’re exercising isn’t doing you any favours. 

To help, I’ve identified five key warning signs which can help you recognise that your relationship with exercise is beginning to do more harm than good, as well as little tips to help remedy them:

1.     It is something you dread doing 

Now, don’t get me wrong, even the best of us wake up in the morning and question if we really want to go for that run, like we so optimistically planned the previous evening. This isn’t what I’m talking about. One of key signs that you are working out in an unhealthy manner is that it is causing you stress and worry, makes you feel ill, and is generally affecting your mental wellbeing. In this situation, I would recommend taking a break and reassessing the way you exercise – you can adjust the amount of exercise you are doing, or mix it up and try something different. I firmly believe there is a type of exercise out there for everyone, so if you don’t like running, try lifting weights instead, or if you hate spin classes, try going for a gentle jog. Just because the way you are exercising now feels wrong, doesn’t mean you have to give up on exercise entirely. Rather, you need to keep looking for something that you actually enjoy and look forward to.  

2.     It became something you “need to” “have to”, or “should” do – and you do it even if you are feeling unwell or are injured 

The language you use to describe your workout routine is often overlooked, however it is an important indication which can help you define and recognise your relationship to exercise. Look out for phrases like “I need to go for this run”, “I have to go to the gym” or “I really should have worked out today”. I would urge anyone who finds themselves, or anyone else, using this language to question whose standards or expectations you are judging yourself by. Who is telling you that this is something you need/have/should be doing? It is also a big red flag if you are forcing yourself to continue to exercise (because you think you have/need/should do) even when you are unwell, injured or simply don’t feel up to it. If your body is not okay, it is crucial that you listen to it, rest, and look after yourself. Rethinking why you’re exercising in the first place can be a big help in this process.

3.     You feel worse after doing it

Yes, it is normal to sometimes feel a bit achy or tired after working out, but exercise should also leave you feeling stronger, and not worse off. If you are continually left feeling drained, or, on the more extreme end, injured or faint, it is a clear sign that your body is telling you that it needs a break. Rest, heal, and come back stronger.

4.     You exercise to “burn” off food or to change specific body parts 

With all the body image standards placed on women, this reason behind exercising is sadly all too prevalent among women. The active intention to work out to change the way your body looks, or to ‘burn off’ or ‘earn’ food, often leads to disappointment and dissatisfaction, and only fuels an unhealthy relationship with exercise (not to mention your mind and body). To remedy this takes a big mindset shift. While it isn’t easy, it will lead to far more happiness in the long run. Instead of thinking about exercising to ‘burn off’ or ‘earn’ food, think of your food as fuel, as well as something that you deserve just by the virtue of being human. Although exercise has the capacity to change how you look, don’t do it with this explicit intention. Every body is built differently, and thus looks different; even when at its healthiest. Focus on what makes your body feel good and strong, rather than fitting a certain physical aesthetic.

5.     You rearrange/cancel plans to exercise

When you feel the need to base all other activities around your exercise schedule, it is clear that rather than enhancing it, it has begun to dominate your life. Exercise is only one factor of an overall healthy lifestyle. Socialising with friends, having downtime by yourself, and enjoying your other hobbies should be given equal importance to exercising. You might even find that when exercise doesn’t dominate your life, it becomes something you can enjoy again.

Unfortunately, I am not able to cover all the possible warning signs that your relationship with exercise has turned toxic, but there are many online resources out there (such as Healthline and Beat) if you are worried about yourself or someone you care about. If I could give you one piece of advice to leave you with, it is to make sure that rather than decreasing, exercise actually increases the quality of your life.

Josie Smith

St. Andrews '24

Josie is a fourth year studying philosophy. She is particularly interested in writing about health and well-being topics as well as the unique financial and business issues that women face. Josie feels so excited and grateful to be a part of an editorial that focuses on amplifying and empowering women’s voices.