A Staycation in St Andrews: Top Reading Week Activities For When You Are Stuck at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The first time my parents visited me in St Andrews was deadline week. Therefore, they kept themselves busy in St Andrews while I submitted my last Foreign Politics and Diplomacy essay. I told them to walk on the beach or do a putting competition on the Himalayas (a putting experience run by the St Andrews Ladies Golf Club). Instead, they decided to go on a tour of the underground dungeons of St Andrews. 

While being a student at St Andrew’s can take the allure out of this town, it is imperative to remember that people come here to visit the beautiful architecture, immerse themselves in the dense history, and relax with an enchanting sea view. My parent’s exhilarating adventures have compelled me to write about the best-kept secret adventures in this small town. Adventures you can embark on if you have nothing planned when everyone else seems to be jetting off.

So, here is your carefully curated four-day St Andrews Staycation Itinerary:

On the first day of your staycation, you must mend your wounds from deadlines the week before and prepare for an activity-packed next few days. Start by relaxing. I encourage you staycationers to take a long walk with no distractions. Unplug and find the Fife Coastal Walk. I love this walk as it promises impressive ocean views, fresh sea air to clean out your lungs from the library, and a couple of golf balls picked up along the way from the nearby Castle Course. 

Not only must you decompress from endless days at the library, but taking a long walk will help to clear your mind. It is time to stop thinking about classes, to-do lists, and endless reading pages. Start prioritising yourself. 

After a refreshing walk, come home and make a warm tea, hot chocolate, or a different beverage of choice. Take a long shower. Do a face mask. Clean up your space. Taking a day to reset after an intense start to the school year is the best way to begin Reading Week. Use this time to read that book you have been staring at on your bedside table or catch up on that series that everyone has been spoiling for you. This is your time, so prioritise what you have been procrastinating. 

After you have had a day to reset your mind and body, it is time to move on to the second day of your staycation. You have been living in this town for two years already, but did you know that ghosts roam the town? It is time for you to take a ghost tour. Yes, this is a thing. And, yes, it is the perfect time to do so because Halloween is right around the corner! Ghost tours in St Andrews are offered in-person, virtually, and in self-guided formats. Grab a couple of friends and maybe a flashlight or two, and learn about the scary stories of those who lived before us. This adventure is a great way to jump-start your week, not to mention a fantastic dinner party anecdote at your next St Andrews student get-together. 

Okay, it is day three. You have relaxed and experienced the haunts this town has to offer. It is time to enjoy the flora of St Andrews. Take a walk down to the Botanic Garden. Over the 18-acre site, this experience offers a rock garden, a rhododendron glade, a pond at which to sit with your thoughts, and various art installations. The Botanic Garden is a wonderful way to experience a day in St Andrews. If you aren’t tired yet, make your way from the Garden to East Sands for a wellness dip. The cold water will shock your system; seriously, cold water plunges are not for the weak. Yet, nothing will ever compare to the feeling of burrowing into your warmest clothes after touching that icy water. To top off a perfect day, I recommend grabbing a mac & cheese toastie from The Cheesy Toast Shack, right off East Sands. Even a green tea will warm you up!

It is the last day of your staycation. I know you can’t get enough of St Andrews now that you know what it offers, but don’t worry, your last day is jam-packed with the best activities. When you wake up, you must meander to The Cottage Kitchen for a coffee. Caffeine is needed today. In the morning, I encourage you all to try the Himalayas putting course. Even if you don’t golf, this activity is essential in St Andrews. Lasting only forty-five minutes, the course boasts an exciting adventure, yet not a total four-hour commitment. It is the perfect morning activity to drag your friends along, and you must complete it to leave St Andrews. Next up, stop by Dook, the best sandwich shop, maybe the only one, on West Sands Beach. I love cafes by the beach, so now you must experience them. Dook offers pastries, sandwiches, cute dogs, and even beach toys. After a long morning, take an hour to relax. It has been a busy week. Use this time to get a headstart on next week’s readings, or plan out your work schedule. In the evening, you have two choices. You can make a reservation at a restaurant you have not been to. The best way to find hidden gems in this town is to try everything. An underrated dining experience is Rogue, a cosy restaurant right across from The Saint. Your second option to end your staycation in St Andrews is a cinema trip. The St Andrews Picture House is the ultimate experience. The Picturehouse is a charming spot that allows you to lock yourself into your seat and entrench yourself in a mystery. 

Ultimately, being stuck at school when everyone is jetting off to new places can be disheartening. However, taking advantage of this time to create new experiences in St Andrews is a great way to connect with the town and open yourself up to new adventures. Staying at home during reading week is also a great way to reset your mindset and prepare for the rest of the semester. The next time Reading Week comes around, and you’re staying put, try some of these activities as they promise fun!

Adele Spitz

St. Andrews '26

Adele Spitz is an international relations student from Boston, Massachusetts. Currently, she is one of our Senior Editors. She enjoys golfing, exciting adventures, and trying out new cookbook recipes! She is so excited to contribute to HerCampus and help to reach our goals to increase audience engagement!