How ‘To-Do-Listing’ Can Help You Destress and Focus on Priorities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

With the new semester now in full swing, it is natural to feel overwhelmed when trying to manage day-to-day tasks efficiently after a long and relaxing summer break. Keeping a tab of all the things you need to get done can be very daunting and stressful, and so finding a time management strategy that will work for you is vital for a successful semester. 

The stress to get things done can often lead to moments of desperation, from taking time management advice from WikiHow, to being up at 2am watching videos titled “How to Be Productive”. I have been there more times than I can count, and let me tell you, neither of these methods have worked for me. As a first year, I sifted through various methods to find one that might help me effectively manage my time and stay productive. Eventually, I stumbled upon the ‘to-do-listing’ method, which is extremely simple, yet highly effective. Based on my successful experience with the method after such a stressful period in my life, I would highly recommend giving it a try.

For starters, I would suggest using the ‘notes’ app on your phone or laptop. You can also use apps like List To Do, Microsoft To Do, Do!, To Do List, and many more. The checklist features on notes will aid in making a concise list of all the things that you need to do daily, weekly and even monthly. The calendar app works for this as well, but the only disadvantage is that it works well for events, not so much for tasks that aren’t time constrained – so your organizational options are more limited.

To-do-listing is also a great way to de-stress. Nothing compares to the satisfaction you get from having checked off every task listed for the day. Don’t feel embarrassed adding more simple tasks to your list, like taking a shower or taking the trash out. The little things count just as much as the big ones!

Even though I have been to-do-listing for over a year now, I very rarely have a week in which I manage to complete everything on my list. We all have our unproductive days. However, the fact that I actively make an attempt to try and finish off everything on my list is something that I am proud of. Not being able to complete everything you had listed for completion on your to-do list is more than okay. Take it easy, and don’t be so hard on yourself!

If you are struggling to stay productive and committing to completing your to-do list, I would recommend using positive reinforcement or a reward system, which can help to keep yourself motivated and productive (Pavlov’s theory of classical conditioning, anyone?). I personally use something as simple as getting to eat my favourite cookie, painting my nails, getting my eyebrows done, or watching my favorite TV show as a form of positive reinforcement. This is an extremely effective and simple way to keep yourself productive and motivated to complete your tasks as you actively look towards getting that reward at the end of the day. 

Additionally, there is in fact science behind why our brains love to-do lists. To-do lists help dampen anxiety because they provide structure to your life, giving you a plan to stick to, as well as showing proof of what you have achieved for a day, week, or month. Moreover, making a plan for the future helps to decrease distractions. Bluma Zeigarnik, a Russian psychologist, was one of the first people to note the brain’s obsession with pressing tasks. The ‘Zeigarnik effect’ demonstrates that we tend to remember things we need to do better than the things we have already done. After completing a task and checking it off the list, our brain is ready to forget about it and focus on the next new thing. 

If you do end up liking to-do-listing, I would recommend getting a daily planner that has a calendar as well as sections for each day of the week. That way, you can list out everything you need to do for the week and the month. With a tool like a planner, you should consider yourself ready to give to-do-listing a shot!

Syna Singh

St. Andrews '24

Syna Singh is a third year at St Andrews majoring in Financial Economics and Management. She is originally from India but has lived her whole life in sunny Dubai. Photography, traveling, tennis and blogging are some of her interests. In addition to that, she hates being unproductive but also loves binge-watching true crime series, kdramas, rom-coms and of course, The Office!