Five Must-Watch Women-Directed Films from This Past Festival Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

This film season has brought with it many incredible new films by women, a still rare phenomenon within the industry. From acclaimed directorial debuts to adored veteran filmmakers, the list of movies to choose from was refreshingly large. Looking at the world premiers of five films from the Cannes Film Festival, the Berlinale, the Venice International Film Festival, and the Sundance Film Festival, I’ve put together a list of what I think are some of the most exciting upcoming titles from women filmmakers across the globe.

Titane by Julia Ducournau

Winning the prestigious Palme d’Or at Cannes this year (the second woman director to ever do so), Ducournau’s sophomore feature promises the same twisted and invigorating feats found in her debut feature, Raw. The official festival logline for Titane offers only a vague plotline: “following a series of unexplained crimes, a father is reunited with the son who has been missing for 10 years.” While this doesn’t reveal much, Titane’s short yet riveting trailer promises far more gleefully bizarre escapades. With bright neon colours, mesmerising visuals, and a killer soundtrack, Titane might be one of the most anticipated films in the festival circuit this season.

The Power of the Dog by Jane Campion

From cinema legend Jane Campion, Oscar nominated director of The Piano and winner of this year’s Silver Lion award for best director, comes a riveting, star-studded western set during the turn of 20th the century. The film follows two brothers with a tumultuous relationship and a marriage that sparks a violent feud between them. Featuring stars like Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, and Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog is sure to be right in the center of this year’s upcoming awards season.

I’m Your Man by Maria Schrader

Having premiered at the 71st Berlin film festival and quickly scooping up Germany’s official entry to the 94 Academy Awards Best International Feature Film category, Maria Schrader’s fourth feature film appears to be well worth the buzz. Following a young scientist who is tasked to evaluate an experimental AI that takes on the form of a person’s ideal partner, Schrader creates a humorous and touching world “that explores notions of love, longing and what makes us human” (as described in its official festival summary). Starring Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens and German actress Maren Eggert (winner of this year’s Silver Bear award for best leading performance), I’m Your Man is shaping up to be the much beloved festival darling this season.

Prayers for the Stolen by Tatiana Huezo

Salvadorian-Mexican director Tatiana Huezo’s first narrative feature offers a devastating look at the lives of three young girls living in a Mexican mountain town during the cartel wars. Premiering at the Cannes Film Festival under the Un Certain Regard competition, Huezo’s film was quickly acquired by Netflix for distribution. Huezo’s poetic portrait of youth and violence is arguably the underdog film of the year, but as awards season approaches, it’s nevertheless one to watch out for.

El Planeta by Amalia Ulman

Straight from a successful premier at the Sundance Film Festival comes a vibrant and sharp absurdist comedy following a mother and daughter wandering through post-2009-financial-crisis-Spain while grifting, looking lavish, and awaiting their inevitable eviction notice. Visual artist and first-time director Amalia Ulman takes on the leading role in her debut feature, with her own mother at her side in the role of the protagonist’s mother. With a Sundance Jury prize nomination under her belt, and a fresh, vibrant style, the Argentina-born, Spanish-raised filmmaker sits poised to become an exciting new voice in the industry, and perhaps the surprise champion of this year’s award season.

For brevity purposes I had to choose only a fraction of the exciting new films made by women this year to feature. Some honourable mentions include Kira Kovalenko’s Unclenching the Fist, Kateryna Gornostai’s Stop-Zemlia, Géssica Généus’s Freda, and Maggie Gyllenhaal’s hotly anticipated The Lost Daughter (which, alas, at the time of this article has not yet released a trailer or movie clip). As always, the importance of women behind the camera and in the writer’s room is immeasurable, and I encourage you to continue to seek out women-led films with each new festival season, and remain persistent in looking for those that are unfortunately unable to break into the coveted mainstream eye.

I am a fourth year philosophy student at the University of St Andrews. Besides angrily debating at parties whether or not triangles exist, I enjoy watching movies, cooking too much pasta, and getting lost in local bookstores.