Let’s Talk About Periods: Menstrual Cups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

All right so when I was 19 I went through a bit of “body exploration,” and discovered a lot about myself. Aside from my personal experiment of, “how many days can I go without using shampoo,” “why shouldn’t I get that pierced right now,” and “let’s buy all my clothes from goodwill and tailor them myself,” I also went through a, “why are tampons and pads my only options,” hygienic quest.

The latter one was probably the only thing I brought from teens into my early twenties.

Basically let me tell you how amazing divacups are. Of course there are other menstrual cups, as well as other alternatives. Divacups are what I still use today but I’ll tell you a bit about what 19-year-old-me discovered.

WHAT ARE MENSTRUAL CUPS?

If it’s reusable: they’re flexible, medical grade silicone cups. If they’re disposable then they’re made of “inert, hypoallergenic, non-absorbent, non-irritating polymeric material,” so basically a latex-like plastic. You fold them to insert and when they open it creates a seal; ensuring no leakage. I’ve only had experience with the reusable and the only difference I can see besides one you obviously throwaway after use; the disposable you can have sex while wearing them. The reusable wouldn’t be as successful, unless your guy wants to cath himself with the silicone stem.

WHY SHOULD I USE THEM?

The cup you can wear for an entire day at a time without the worry of Toxic Shock Syndrome. Silicone and your own blood are a bit better to have inside of you instead of bleached cotton, but the cup is just easier to deal with once you get over the learning curve. Also; blahblahblah reusable items mean lighter landfills.

Obviously I don’t have a hard time dealing with my own blood but if you’re squeamish you may want to pass. I like the cup because you can go a whole day without having to deal with it. No purse, no worries, and once you get the learning curve down–no leakage. No more stains for me. It’s great. Especially when I go to Musicfests or have to travel while on my period, I use this. I spent 30 dollars on it, but mine lasted for 2 years and can last even longer if you take good care of it. How much do you spend on tampons/pads for the entire year? This will more than likely save you some money.

Here’s more about Divacups incase you’re interested.

I don’t even put tampons in. WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

Not everyone uses insertables for period care. For a brief time, I used reusable pads. It works for some women, but they didn’t make it out of my hippie phase. I got mine from etsy, though it looks like Mooncup also sells cloth pads.

I wouldn’t suggest using these unless you have reliable laundry schedule. These things absorb and will hold onto it until you ring them out. If you buy from individual sellers, don’t be afraid to contact them with questions. Mine worked fine, but cups are less hassle and are much much cleaner for me.

Though I will say, the pros of reusable pads are obvious. Sort of.

Sexy.

Disposable tampons/pads are easy simply because they’re at Walmart in bulk and in public restrooms for a quarter. There are other options though. And now you know some of them. Yay learning!

Cover photo courtesy of 欠我兩千塊

Cathy C.

Southern Miss

Hello! I am a 5th year senior, working towards a Graphic Design BFA with a minor in English. I am an ex-Greek transfer student, here to help you keep all of your sex/health/relationship facts straight.