This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

What’s the point of journaling, you may ask? Does it actually help you? How do you even start?

Journaling is universal in the way that it can mean whatever you need it to mean. It can serve as a creative outlet, a space to capture ideas, or a hidden place to press secrets between the pages. Journaling can be all of those at once or something else entirely, too. It does take some dedicated and consistent time, but if you’re willing to set aside even 10 minutes a day, you may unlock something new.

What is journaling for?

I’ve found that taking pen to paper is very healing. Whenever I find myself emotionally conflicted or distraught, I turn to my notebook to ground myself. Talking things out has always helped me sort through my feelings, which is something I can do in a safe way with my journal.

I also use my notebook to jot down creative flurries, writing topics, and random thoughts and feelings. Sometimes, even reminders or certain events make it into the journal. Mine happens to be very chaotic, much like myself. My journal is a reflection of my soul, my heart, and my inner self; I am my most vulnerable self in those pages, which allows a special kind of freedom and healing.

One of the ways I use my journal is when I’m in my feels or need to reconnect with myself. This can be through prompts or story time ramblings and helps me to work things out with myself and with others.

Some self-help prompt ideas that don’t feel cliché to use.
  • I forgive myself for…
  • When do I feel most like myself?
  • Write down 5 things I love about myself and 5 things I do not, then add why I still accept myself anyways for each of those last 5
  • What feelings am I experiencing right now? Can I pinpoint where any of these have come from? Which ones do I want to keep and which do I want to let go?

These are just a few prompt ideas meant to help you get started on the days when you’re feeling a little stuck or wanting to go deeper into your story. Prompts are not required when you journal; often, I ramble in my journal for paragraphs until I feel better. Whatever feels right for you is what I’d recommend when getting in touch with your emotions, especially since you may feel vulnerable while doing so (which is okay, it takes time).

not really a writing-your-feelings person? More ideas ahead.

I like to write, which means I’ll get little story ideas when I’m out and need somewhere to write them down. What better place than my journal? If someone were to go through my journal (let’s hope not), they’d find unfinished stories in the middle of emotional rants and self-love poems. Sometimes you just gotta do that.

If you like to stay organized, you could get a notebook that has dividers for different sections or you could color-code your pages. Personally, mine looks like a tornado hit a craft store and then ran into my book. I like to think it’s aesthetic, but it probably isn’t.

Among the pages of heartbreak and happiness, stories and rants, are lots of random things that I’ve added over time. Maybe I’ll have a grocery list on an empty page and will go back and add a cool flower to be preserved forever. I’ve added concert tickets, small photos, stickers and other various items that caught my eye and had to be kept.

Whatever you feel like adding to yours, do it! Your journal is your oyster!

parting thoughts…

If you’re thinking about journaling but don’t know where to start, try some of these ideas. If the things I’ve talked about don’t feel authentic to you, just start writing about your day, a topic, even a word and see where it takes you.

Your journal is a collection of you and you decide what that means. Start small and go from there, because there is no right or wrong way to journal. That’s the beauty of it.

Laura Rohrer

South Carolina '23

Laura is an environmental science major and mass communications minor at UofSC. She's involved in the mountaineering club, Sierra club, book club, WUSC-FM university radio station and Her Campus! In her (limited) free time, she loves playing with her puppy Moose and spending time with friends. She's also super into fashion and thrifts like a maniac. She never stops moving and lives exclusively on coffee and Chipotle.