Wellness > Health

The Importance Of Wearing Face Sunscreen

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

We all talk about self-care and skin care all of the time. We’re always up on the new and improved products that our idol influencers are using, but is sunscreen in their everyday routine? I’m going to be completely honest here, applying face sunscreen was not a part of my daily skin care routine. I was not an SPF girly in high school. In fact, when I went college shopping before I came to the university, I was in Target with my mom and we obviously had to stop in the little Ulta Beauty section. While walking through and getting my other product refills, I saw an end-cap that was for the brand Supergoop!. I had heard of this brand, but never tried it. We may or may not have already been above budget, but it’s sunscreen — so it was a reasonable addition in my opinion.

I wasn’t aware that using sunscreen on a daily basis would have such positive effects on my skin so quickly! After just about a week of using it, I could definitely tell that my skin was clearing up and was not as dry as it normally would have been. I had also noticed that I wasn’t getting as many “sun spots.” Now, if you’re not familiar, sun spots are flat, brown spots that appear on the skin due to sun exposure (Healthline). According to Lyskin, sunspots can be prevented by wearing sunscreen and reapplying as directed.

This is hard to admit, but historically, I haven’t worn sunscreen. I know — not good.

Emily Weiss

Emily Weiss Quotes. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/emily_weiss_854534

Dermatologist Anna Chien says on Hopkindsmedicine.org that wearing sunscreen is one of the best — and easiest — ways to protect your skin’s appearance and health. For all of my lovelies who are afraid of wrinkling young, Dr. Chien also states that using sunscreen regularly can help prevent premature aging, too! I know that some of us (if not most of us) as college students are balling on a budget. I know name brands can be a bit expensive, but I don’t want you to worry. I have tried the “dupes” of Supergoop!, and there are some drugstore brands that work just as well! As long as you’re rocking with one with an SPF of at least 30, you are golden! Unfortunately, that does not mean applying a tinted moisturizer that has an SPF of 15 (speaking from personal experience, it’s just not the same).

Now, I know that applying sunscreen on not-so-sunny days seems maybe redundant. But, if you ask me, I would apply it anyway. Sometimes I felt a little silly putting it on as I watched rain drip down my window, but just keeping up with that routine just felt so peaceful. It can easily be seen that sunscreen has physical benefits like clearing sunspots or giving an extra barrier to lock in moisture, but it also has really good mental benefits, too. If you’re anything like me, having a routine keeps me in high spirits. Adding this beneficial step to your daily skin care may boost your mood in the mornings. I know it has done that for me for sure! Waking up and being active in keeping my skin healthy and protected starts me off on such an empowering and worthy day. The days I forget about my sunscreen is like a day I forget my earrings — and let me tell you, those days are not my favorite by any means. I want to experience days where I’m focused on the pretty spring flora and feeling the breeze while trying not to get hit in the face with the little bugs that fly around everywhere. To do that, I remember to put on sunscreen, because it makes me feel like a protected and capable boss girl!

Jess Reynolds

South Carolina '26

Jess is a sophomore at the University of South Carolina. She is majoring in nursing and is a part of the creative and editorial teams of the USC Hercampus Organization chapter. She is also a part of the Women in Stem club and the Student Nursing Association. Jess was the president of her school chapter of Habitat for Humanity. She has won sociable and perseverance awards in the organization as well. She was also the Fundraising/Volunteer Co-chair of her school’s Help A Hound club as well. She loves connecting with others and shares a goal of empowering women. Her hobbies include doing anything artistic and being surrounded by nature. Jess loves Hercampus and can’t wait to learn and grow into more of an extraordinary woman!