This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As college students and twenty-something-year-olds, movement is vital for our mental and physical health. Keep in mind, the body is in its best physical shape in the early to mid-20s, so why not take advantage of that? Although moving our bodies is important at any age, the benefits from it are essential for young adults. From better head space to feeling stronger, here’s why you should move your body every single day:

The effect that moving your body has on your mind is often forgot about. Physical activity sends signals to your brain to release endorphins. These chemicals are responsible for happiness, calmness and well-being. I’ve found that only thirty minutes of moving (whether that be going for a run or just a walking around my house) improves my mood. Especially while doing homework and preparing for finals, getting myself moving allows me to focus longer than I normally would. Not only that, but moving your body also helps you cope with stress. Results from a recent study at the University of Chicago suggest that routine exercise is, “Helpful in maintaining a positive mood and preventing stress from accumulating in your body.” The most significant change that I notice when exercising is my level of stress. Getting my body moving reminds me of how strong I am and what I am capable of. No matter what that may look like for you, it’s a feeling that cannot be beat.

Not only does physical activity assist with mental health, but also it helps brain health. It improves cognitive performance for people of all ages. I’ll admit it — I’m a terrible studier. Since high school, I could never sit down at a table and read for hours on end. It wasn’t until recently that I realized that all I needed was a little movement incorporated into my study time. For every thirty minutes or so of school work that I do sitting down, I allow myself a few minutes to get up and walk around. Not only does this help me concentrate longer, but also clears my mind of any fog.

Beyond our heads, moving our bodies makes us physically stronger as well. For example, when we get older, our bones can become weak and more fragile. In fact, one in five women will be diagnosed with osteoporosis, a medical condition where bones lose density and have an increased risk of fractures. Just as little as 30 minutes of physical activity each day can help strengthen your bones and prevent osteoporosis.

Luckily, moving our bodies everyday does not mean we need to be running marathons to reap the benefits of physical activity. Going on a walk, whether around your neighborhood or by window shopping in town, is one of the easiest ways to get moving each day. Find 30 minutes for yourself everyday, no matter how you choose to move — your body will thank you.

Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.