How to Fall in Love with Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The semester is over, and that means summer pool days are just around the corner (as if we haven’t been going to the pool since February in Columbia). As we get closer and closer to summertime, we are all trying to drop a few extra pounds, and according to runnersworld.com, “when trying to lose weight, it’s hard to beat running.” Ugh, running. We know, we know, it sounds miserable. But, we have a few tips that will hopefully help you fall in love with running.

1. Get a great playlist

Check out apps like Spotify or make your own playlist, but when your listening to your favorite songs and singing along, time flies by. You won’t even realize how far you’ve run.

2. Cute clothes

When you look good, you feel good. There are so many cute workout tops and bottoms for all body types and price ranges. Running is as much mental as it is physical, so when your confidence is up, your run will be better!

3. Find a motivating app

An app we love is Aaptive because it combines a motivational trainer with a playlist that is set to each specific work out. They have runs for all levels and abilities. Other great apps to look into are MapMyRun and Nike+ Run Club.

4. Grab a friend

Working out is always better when you’re not in it alone. Having a friend to keep you committed to your runs will be super helpful in staying on track and becoming a better, stronger runner.

5. Include some walking intervals

Even the most advanced runners still include walking or slower jogging intervals into some of their runs. At the beginning you may need to include more walking time but as time goes on, your walking intervals will get shorter and shorter until all of a sudden, you’re just running the whole time!

Running really, really sucks at first. Your endurance is low, it feels hard and honestly, you want to quit cause it seems like there is no way it will ever get any easier. But it does. It can become a great stress reliever and an even better work out, but it does take some time. Dedicate the time to it and try some of our tips and you’ll love to run in no time! We believe in you!

Alex is a Public Relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is an avid napper, a lover of guacamole and an Office enthusiast.
Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.